Middle Lane Hogging

Leon Roskilly

Good news indeed, now lets deal with those who travel everywhere at 35mph even on an A road with a 60 limit.

Among the offences police are expected to focus on are:

• Driving too close to the vehicle in front

• Failing to give way at a junction (not requiring evasive action by another driver)

• Overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic

• Being in the wrong lane and pushing into a queue on a roundabout

• Lane discipline, such as needlessly hogging the middle or outside lanes

• Inappropriate speed

• Wheel-spins, handbrake turns and other careless manoeuvres

:)

(Of course 60mph is the limit you are legally allowed, when the road is straight and dry, visibility is good and traffic light.

On a twisting county lane with the possibility of a laden tractor (or a cyclist) around the next bend (or hidden in a dip) even 35mph is likely to be inappropriate, especially when dark or wet ).

Might be of interest:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/63975/circular-01-2013.pdf

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I wonder if its all about bringing in laws to help us or just more ways of revenue collection ,will we be getting instant fines dropping through the letterbox from mere camera operators saying we broke a law ,its extremely hard to prove you never broke a law

What is the criteria for hogging a lane ? Not pulling across 5? 10? 15 seconds after overtaking a lorry

The news is all smoke and mirrors to divert attention away from something more sinister the governments up to

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

What's "overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic"?? If there is a tailback of traffic behind a slow vehicle, those who aren't willing or able to overtake themselves should facilitate others getting past (including leaving a big enough gap for people to get into). The idea that overtaking is somehow queue jumping is a very pernicious and dangerous British attitude that needs knocking on the head.

What's "overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic"?? If there is a tailback of traffic behind a slow vehicle, those who aren't willing or able to overtake themselves should facilitate others getting past (including leaving a big enough gap for people to get into). The idea that overtaking is somehow queue jumping is a very pernicious and dangerous British attitude that needs knocking on the head.

I would imagine it applies when two lanes of traffic merge into one and there are signs some way back directing traffic to merge into one lane.

There's always those who ignore the signs and travel past the more compliant vehicles, with the intention of forcing their way back into the queue at it's head, holding up all those already patiently in the queue.

O.K. you are in a hurry and there's the opportunity of a quarter of a mile of overtaking before the cones force you over, and almost certainly you'll be able to intimidate someone and force your way in, but (apart from being bad-manners) it does tend to cause road-rage and accidents as well as slowing everyone else's journeys down.

As I say 'merge-in-turn' (IMO) would perhaps be a better solution, but then the bullies would still take advantage.

Then there's the more dangerous scenario where traffic is queuing to exit on a slip road, and still some won't queue but overtake the queue in the adjacent lane, then slow down at the turn-off and try to force their way in, blocking through traffic, causing tail-backs and collisions as traffic behind is forced to slow down suddenly.

RNLI Shoreline Member

I'd like someone to define clearly what a middle lane hog is. For example lane 1 on the M27 is frequently nose to tail full of HGVs heading from or to the ferries in Portsmouth. I'm damned if I am gonna play leap-frog with the trucks, I''l stay in lane 2 at 70mph until I am clear of the lot of them.

i should imagine that enforcing officers will use some common sense.

When the inner lane is clear and someone is cruising in the overtaking lane, forcing other motorists to move across two lanes to overtake, then back across two lanes to obey the keep left rule, they are likely to find a police car inviting them to pull over for a ticket.

RNLI Shoreline Member

I''l stay in lane 2 at 70mph until I am clear of the lot of them.

You'll gain the wrath of this lot then hogger :bleh: :

http://newsthump.com/2013/06/05/calls-for-middle-lane-hoggers-to-face-death-penalty/

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I would imagine it applies when two lanes of traffic merge into one and there are signs some way back directing traffic to merge into one lane.

The way that causes least congestion is to zip-merge at the lane closure. Unfortunately, the dog-in-a-manger attitude of many motorists means that it's less hassle to get into the remaining lanes earlier.

barry l,

I guess they want me to put my new Porsche 911 GT2 RS where the sun don't shine? (60 to 180 in 6 sec for a mear $350,000)

Phone

as long as you don't make my berlingo have to go into the third lane to pass you we'de still be mates.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..