Ideal roach fishing rod

Anderoo

So far I've used the 11ft most; that said I only got the 12ft last winter. Both are OK down to 0.10mm bottoms (the new equivalent of what we used to call pound bottoms- 1.1 Bayer - but now more like 2lb line). For shorter range the 11ft is better with the 12ft edging it at over 20 yards and in stronger flows. Both weigh less than 6oz and very slim so a delight to use. In more gentle flows I have used my old Normark No. 2 quiver (has No. 1 tip as well) and that is a brilliant rod but a bit undergunned when it's flowing hard.

As for Phone's question we use tackle that is as balanced as possible and it's amazing what exceptional fish can be tamed and how quickly. The last 4 double-figure carp I have had have all turned up whilst roach/dace fishing and all landed on very fine lines and fine-wire hooks. Not an issue really if you've got a lot of experience with this gear. One water I fish in winter for roach with either size 22 or 24 barbless hooks and 0.06 or 0.08mm hook length. Carp turn up from time to time (usually 6-8lbs) but the extremely soft-actioned match rod means I can usually get them out in under 30 seconds.

Cheers Mark. One more question that came to me, when fishing the Thames for roach what strength quivertip do you usually use, and (for upstreaming), glass or carbon?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Mark. One more question that came to me, when fishing the Thames for roach what strength quivertip do you usually use, and (for upstreaming), glass or carbon?

The TDR only has carbon tips, 3 in all. My approach when there is a good flow is fishing across (feeder lands upstream of me) with a bow and usually the heaviest tip is about right. It's a case of getting to know the rod and the conditions. As an ex-match angler I'm never afraid to retackle with a different tip which with feeder rigs takes only a couple of minutes.

Normark Microlite II, light steady pressure, get them moving gently towards the bank, net in very gently, DON'T wake the carp up, gently does it, lift net, all over - 25 seconds. Then the carp wakes up big time but it's too late, he's in the net. Done it a load of times, they don't know they're hooked, but only when it's fairly cold. Do the opposite and wake them up and you won't even see a carp again on that gear. It's quite funny in that I've seen other anglers playing the same sized carp for ten minutes in the same conditions on much heavier gear but they've well and truly woken them up from the moment they hook them.

Done it myself wil the pole and a 5 elastic in the winter, the quickest was a low double hooked as I shipped in at the end of a doubles final one winter, hooked and landed in less than twenty seconds and still lost the match.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thanks Mark, that's helpful. Sounds like a light feeder rod with carbon tips is the way to go.

I use carbon tip on my original Map parabolix - they are very good BUT bear in mind carbon tips are so easy to break.

Every time you reel in keep an eye on the tip eye. I have broken several due to weed jamming in the eye when not being careful.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

All,

I'm a slob about care and maintaience of my rods and have learned the hard way. Our rods are no where near as light as yours. And yet, carbon fiber fishing rods are so strong you can fight a big fish with a light rod, but so fragile a nick can lead to breakage,especially near the tip. I know from experience.

How are most rods broken? A major rod manufacturer considers the question for a moment . - - - - - - - “Stupidity"

Whilst fishing I can't tell you how many anglers I watched "high stick" their rod. Holding and fighting a fish with the rod vertical invites a broken tip more often than not.

In my experience, manufacturing defects are indeed, very rare.

Phone

EDIT: Thought I might add - the only slow tip rod I've never broken is a Fenwick fiberglas rod from the 70's. I'd have to go look to tell you what it is.

Edited by Phone

I don't mind paying a bit of money, also I'm just as happy getting an old rod .

Taking you at your word, you need either a Sowerbutts roach pole or a Fred J Taylor roach rod. (You may need to attend an auction for antique tackle though)

In my youth the best roach rods used to be made from Spanish Reed with a split-bamboo tip.

A bit like shooting partridge with a matchlock ...........

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Just had a really enjoyable evening roach fishing at a little Thames tributary, best fish a cracking roach of 1lb 2oz on quivertipped flake after dark. Very happy :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yesterday's roach has led a bit of a colourful life by the look of it, but I can't tell you how pleased I was to see it :)

IMG_0957_zps197f7d44.jpg

It was a great evening anyway, Rich and I had a couple of decent bream between us (which actually fought!) plus a couple of smaller roach. But fish always look big when they're from such small streams. One of the bream was about 3.08, and just at the net it rolled and the red light of the headtorch made it look bright silver...for a second or two we thought we were staring at a truely giant roach!

Really looking forward to the roach fishing this autumn and winter now.