Spinning for Perch

chenz116

Hi follks

im new to the forum and new too coarse fishing although i do have some sea fishing experiance so im not completely clueless

i want to start spinning for perch in my local canal and was hoping for some advice on the set up.

I like light gear as you get agood scrap out of most fish then so i was thinking of going for the following.

a 5"6 rod with cast weight of 2-10g

Light reel about 7.5 ounces

with some 3 pound line

and using some mepps spinners

any help or advice would be great

Hi,

I have a similar setup for river fishing for perch.

Savage Gear Troutizimo 0-5g

Spro Micro Reel 8lb Braid

Lures, I generally use mepps as well. Currently I am using the smallest Mepps Red Comet you can get (Size#00) which I think is about 1.5g so maybe a bit light for you setup you are considering unless you go for a much lighter line which I wouldn't recommend. The reason I use such a small spinner is because I'm generally going out to just have fun and catch as many perch as I can and I don't really care about the size :-).

Try and get some light wire as well because the canal will probably contain pike and it's not possible to avoid them all the time but try and get a thin/supple wire something like Drennan Soft Strand 10lb which can be knotted onto you snaps and swivels easily, the only problem with it is that it kinks quite easily so you need to be careful when handling it.

Let me know how you get one and if you find any good ultra light lures :-)

Hi follks

im new to the forum and new too coarse fishing although i do have some sea fishing experiance so im not completely clueless

i want to start spinning for perch in my local canal and was hoping for some advice on the set up.

I like light gear as you get agood scrap out of most fish then so i was thinking of going for the following.

a 5"6 rod with cast weight of 2-10g

Light reel about 7.5 ounces

with some 3 pound line

and using some mepps spinners

any help or advice would be great

Looks pretty reasonable for general light work including perch, though I'd advise using a braid line of maybe 8 - 10lb BS rather than mono. Sounds a bit overgunned, true, but is a very fine diameter, will transmit any hits you get much better than mono, and will give you a much more realistic chance of landing the occasional rogue pike which you WILL hook up with - so the advice given be Errrm re using a wire trace is very important.

Small spinners like the Mepps WILL catch perch all day long (and trout are a sucker for them too, if there are any about) ... remember though perch have huge mouths in comparision for their size, and you'd be amazed at exactly how big a fish / lure a big perch will hit ... I've regularly caught bigger perch on Mepps-type lures up to a size 4 or 5, and there are pictures all over the net of piddling little perch hitting plugs etc that are bigger than they are :-)

If you use decently heavy braid, you'll lose a lot fewer spinners. My general purpose spinning kit has 20lb power pro on it - I don't lose so many lures these days! Of course if your line is too heavy for a light rod you will need to set your drag correctly and to pull out of snags with a straight pull.

Regarding the using bigger lures for perch statement then yes it is completely true that perch will hit huge lures but in my limited experience I would say that it depends on what you are after if you want to catch a lot of perch (30-40 in a few hours than you need a much smaller spinner as you will get much better hook up ratios with smaller perch and they are more likely to hit it, if you are happy catching a smaller amount and more even ration of jacks to perch than a larger spinner is that way to go.

I'd go with braid over mono too.

I'll also echo the point about using a wire leader. You can get some pretty smal duolock type snaps but for really light stuff, try Mustad fly snaps.

Don't forget to look at jig heads with either grubs or shads as well as some of the U/L plugs (I used to do very well with Bill Norman Crankin' Craw lures for canal perch) i addition to spinners.

Dropshotting is increasingly popular but I confess that it's a method I have yet to try.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I'm surprised no-one has commented on the 5'6" rod. Though that would be lovely to use from a boat, or indeed parts of the canal where the banks are clear, if there are bushes or reeds you need to get round I'd find it too short. I have a 7' and a 9' and I find I usually use the latter. But there are much more experienced lure anglers than me who have replied above, so if no-onbe else comments it may be just me.

In terms of finding the fish you may know that features like bushes on the far bank will often have some perch under them.

john clarke

I reckon the rod and reel are about right - the rod needs to be quite fast though and not a noodle.

This sort of outfit is great fun but very limited.

Canals and shallow pools stuffed with stunted pike are the sorts of venues where I use mine but for me it's a winter diversion.

Weed (on the pools) or colourd conditions (canals) make it untenable in the summer.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.