Be warned!

Peter Waller

The postings re canoe access has drawn a pretty mild response so far!

But be warned. I attended a consultation tonight re the possible access by canoes to the upper reaches of the River Waveney.

FACT. The British Canoe Union is on public record as wishing to see the new Right to Roam legislation applied to canoists so they have ACCESS TO ALL INLAND STILL WATERS. That includes a carp lake somewhere near you.

It was clearly stated, and is on public record, that up to ONE HUNDRED CANOES might be expected to attend a rally on newly opened waters at one time.

Will apathy allow this to happen?

[ 12. November 2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to be honest I have had little concern over canoes, now holiday boats, don't get me started.

If they intend to demonstrate in numbers as you suggest, that would force me to change my view on the subject.

To turn up in such numbers would surely antagonize many other poeple who use the quiet areas of our waterways, or are they looking for confrontation cos sure as eggs is eggs thats what will happen. :(

Does the Right to Roam Legislation allow other than designated areas such as Private waters? Rights of access and all that.

Got any suggestions on any course of action we could invoke.

[ 12. November 2003, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

Initially Nugg it MIGHT be on designated waters ONLY. But the B.C.U. have said they want access to ALL still waters. Giving an inch might seem perfectly reasonable, but when a yard is taken it will be too late. The Waveney, as was debated tonight, is little more than a stream where access is being considered, yet they want to allow large numbers of canoes to invade it. As you have said, high mumbers will cause problems. Don't compare the upper reaches of the Waveney with the Bure at Potter Heigham!!

BUDGIE:

Surely all still waters are "private" certainly in regards to acsess any way?

The Right To Roam legislation is over private land, just as a public footpath is almost certainly over private land. Access to private still-waters is the stated aim of the B.C.U. The Government appear to be supporting this aim in that they are sponsoring consultation and research into the issue. Worrying.

Peter Waller:

The Government appear to be supporting this aim in that they are sponsoring consultation and research into the issue. Worrying.

Wrong. If it's comming out of the coffers we are sponsoring it, so we pay to fish and pay to have it nawsed up. What is Lord God Blair going to do next walk on the water?

These "laws" reference private land,tresspass,public acsess etc are a mine field they just dont make sense to me.How can any body justify walking on to some ones property and doing what ever they want,in this case putting a cannoe on their lake.I wouldnt dream of going on some ones property let alone fishing their lake with out permission.Madness!

Oh I dont have any major problem with cannoeists but I find this "its our right" to do some thing lark a tad distastefull.The ramblers who want to walk across the farmers field of crops rather than around it because of the "right of way" also **** me off!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Come on Peter thats a load of tosh. Nobody in their right mind in or out of government would support legislation that allowed total public access to private water. Along with canoes, inflatables, dinghys, rafts, jet skis, floating trees and a motley collection of swimmers, divers, water skiers et al, since all would be entitled to the same opportunity. I can see the point in ensuring access to inland public waters, but the rest is poppycock. Put the bottle down and go to bed you'll feel better in the morning.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'