windows 8 update probs

chesters1

Yes clean install

Its been very strange it refuses to do several things but runs fine with everything else

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

not a great answer but 8.1 will be out early October which might well help alot of things your experiencing...though im still sure its sounding like corrupt install files.....but without telling you to do a fresh install its could take ages to diagnose through the forums! LOL

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_update/how-do-i-uninstall-net-framework-45-in-windows-8/164229c9-fa1f-425b-90a0-a5a83c382b9c

download this tool and give it a run see if that cleans anything up

Tried it already without success ,after a reboot i try to install .net v 4 and it says its installed!

I need a registry fixer that works not just look ,system care says theres 300 odd ocx? faults in the initial search field they disapear in the fix field but when you fix it it only shows 4 that are fixed and its the paid for version

Can you remove enough .net components so windows thinks its not installed or is it possible to transplant the files manually ,i tried to copy the xsx files from the dvd but it refuses to install ( forgot the procedure on youtube)

The anoying thing is windows settings transfer refuses to work as well and tells me the one i made when it was fresh and shiny is corrupt and thinks the same of the image i made just after

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Kiri,

Let me jump in. Is my Vista a ".net" framework ? Can a neophyte get in trouble using the tool you suggest? I use internet explorer but somehow "goofed" up the parallel Google dealy-bob. (probably erased something then ran CCleaner(?)).

Phone

I'm not nearly as good as Chesters1 at breaking them. He looks to be an expert. I'm scared most of the time (justifiably)

.net isn't part of the OS mate. It's a bit of software that you install to run certain features in software....being Microsoft it usually crops up along the line in about 90% of software requirements.

Windows 8 is a bit funny with it though...had it on a coup,e of systems but it is rare.

Chesters, I take it that at some point in the past the system worked ok?

If so is it worth using system restore to get back to that point in time and then going from there?

Instructions here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/system-restore-from-windows-8-recovery-environment/

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Chesters, I take it that at some point in the past the system worked ok?

If so is it worth using system restore to get back to that point in time and then going from there?

Instructions here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/system-restore-from-windows-8-recovery-environment/

system restore has only 3 store points the oldest being the image i made when i installed win8 and all the progs you need to have a functional machine,on running it or any of the others it gives an error and says a virus checker maybe blocking it even when mine is switched off!

as i have ordered a bigger drive as windows is now grabbing so much space i tried settings transfer as soon as i click "this is the old PC" this error immediatly pops up ,you can reboot until your finger bleeds the result is always the same

post-1265-0-75299700-1378285862_thumb.jpg

i remember when i first installed win8 i tried to transfer the settings from windows 7 and strangely the file was corrupt ,i have done this many times on several machines and its always worked faultlessly so i suspect the transfer dooda is broken on the win8 machine

its strange SFC doesnt spot this

also the yet unseen file backup dooda refuses to work saying theres not enough room even when i point it to a drive with 80 gig free!

it all started with office not remembering its been installed ,every time you ran one of its components it reinstalled it from the hard drive

Oh and windows backup refuses to work ,it gives a list of backup dates but selecting one brings up an empty box ,refuses to complete when your saving as well

Edited by chesters1

Thats what i am thinking of doing ,anything important isnt on drive c anyway its just the two days of updates installing programs and updating them etc etc etc

Most programs are not on drive c but you have to bloody reinstall them because the associations have been lost

What you need is a program that trundles through your hard disk finds installed programs and lets windows reasociate them so they work again