damn minnows!

jamiefresh

I fish the river ise which is a ten min walk from where i live and the banks at the best of times are about 5ft wide and deepest must be 4ft and ive had a few good hours there with a 5lb 1oz chub, 11 and a half pound pike but at the moment all im catching are minnows which is very anoying does anyone know a way i can fish and not catch these minnows

Larger hooks and harder bait?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Use one as bait.

I'll second that. :thumbs:

Where there's minnows, there's likely to be perch or chub nearby. Try hooking one and dropping it into any slightly deeper water near the shoal, you might have a pleasant surprise. It's like free loose feeding. :D

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yeah i do use a size 12 hook and some smelly cheese and worms but the minnows still go for it ,to every 20minnows i catch i get 1 chub or roach the biggest minnow ive caught was 4 and a half inches which would be good bait for the chub and pike, and ive top lip hooked a minnow to use as live bait but after two hours nothing

jamiefresh,

I just read something confirming my memory on another subject. Guess what? European Minnows are supposed to have ‘Schreckstoff’. That should solve your problem.

Phone

Bigger and/or tougher baits and be prepared to let the float trot a long way because chub and dace on some of these small rivers can be super spooky - especially if there's no tree cover.

We used to fish the River Mease and at this time of the year, it was a steady trickle of casters (including about 50% floaters) to try to draw fish to you and double caster on the hook.

A steady trickle of mashed bread would also go in both as an attractant and to keep the swarms of minows occupied.

As winter came on and the cabages died off, you could fish static baits like chease paste or meat.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

the area is well covered upstream its about a ft deep nice and clear and then just drops down to about 8-9ft and i mean drops but the bigger the hook the bigger the damn minnows i even hooked a big bullhead so know my bait is slowly trotting down And did do well by catching a 1 and a half lb pearch, as i dont have a car anymore i cant drive to my best and personal chub fishing area which is really good for big dace ,3lb plus perch huge roach and have caught a 5lb 1oz chub