pension rights

barry luxton

I smell a wabbit

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Can we have an interesting thread without the usual name-calling? Will be a pity if this one gets locked/deleted (and I'll be peeved if I have to start deleting posts)....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Fine John, and I will ignore the insulting references to my intelligence - usually a sure sign that the insulter is losing the argument.

When I first drew my three pensions, I had to confront all three providers, who each offered less than I had calculated was due to me. The fact that my arguments prevailed suggests that I had at least more knowledge of this "complex system" than the three employees (and perhaps their line managers) of the pensions providers concerned.

Pensions might indeed be complex, but one fact is simple.

Would-be pensioners and their employers contribute something in the order of 60 to 90 billion pounds per annum in the UK (there are various estimates, so I have given the spread - lets not quibble over a few billion eh - show that we "understand" these issues)

However, after all the complexities, (which we peasants are too stupid to understand says our "expert" ) a barely adequate pension used to emerge from the contributions. That is, the smallest pension the providers could get away with and still attract custom - no fault of politicians at this stage. I was fortunate enough to collect this, and I am not grumbling - I got (after being assertive) what I paid for at what I considered a fair price.

Enter Gordon Brown and his levy on tax credits Six billion pounds per annum removed from the income of the providers. That's between 10% (if you believe the lower figure of 60 billion per annum) and 6.66% (if you accept the higher figure of 90 billion per year) of what pension providers were collecting.. Straw on camel's back springs to mind.

That shortfall has to come from somewhere. It won't come from the providers, it will come either from increased pension contributions for a given pension, or from reduced pension payments for a given contribution - two ways of saying the same thing.

So that one act of "Prudence" Brown, DID make a difference I remember the furore at the time. It might have died down, but the results linger. One result is that many thousands will not be able to afford a decent pension.

Its OK, its not my concern, and in any case, I am absolved from further comment, as in common with most of the rest of you. I am informed these issues are too complex for ordinary folk to understand.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

here is the man in question from Chesters link, I know who I blame, his first name is prudence, also backed by the other errr man blair :

Brown defends pensions decision

Chancellor Gordon Brown

Mr Brown was warned by Treasury officials about the pension plans

Chancellor Gordon Brown has insisted his change to pension tax rules 10 years ago was the "right decision".

Mr Brown said the change, which raised £5bn a year from pension funds, had been a key one to ensure the UK economy had been strong for the past decade.

He was speaking at a Scottish campaign event where the decision was also backed by Prime Minister Tony Blair.

The Conservatives say Mr Brown took the decision despite advice saying that it would cause a £75bn hole in pensions.

What did he do with the money, where has it been spent, wisely?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

They probably used it to bolster their own extremely generous pensions

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

1. You can sneer about expertise if you like -

I realised many of the professionals didn't seem to know that much

2. So I spent a lot of time finding out.

1. I will, I will. In the course of a long life I have met many so-called experts who in fact know very little. Nowhere do they proliferate more than in the financial sector. Scraping through a low level exam on finance does not really make an expert, and many "advisers" lack even that.

It looks as if you also have met some.

2, Me too, and I have a decent set of pensions to show for it. It means, however, that I no longer have an incentive to study the subject further

Perhaps, your "finding out" was after I started drawing my pension - if so, have you any advice for those reading this thread that are either currently paying for a pension or contemplating doing so ? You disagree with Chesters and me, but your posts offer no positive suggestions.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The posts show no intentions at all bar i am right and you wrong

I certainly made no suggestions either way i just pointed out one undoupted fact but was put in my place as i couldnt possibly understand ignoring the links i gave were being placed to show a concern was correct in an earlier post.

There was no admittance that the chap in question played a part in devaluation of pensions but glossed over rabbit wise and myself and anyone else mentioning it scoffed at.

Did the chap in question remove a great deal of money from the pension funds ,i dont mind not knowing the inns and outs of the pension area but i do understand if you take something it has to be put back from something else ,it wont be the pension companies ,it wont be the board members of pension companies and it wont be the trustees or shareholders ,who else is left but the pensioners to come?

I'l let you squabble over the falling value of the funds that pension schemes use to make money as it is seperate to haveing billions removed from the pot despite the falling market prices of those funds making everything even worse

Another rarely saw fact is the excuse to push back the pension age as "we live longer" i will counter this as those that do not "live longer" will not get a pension at all thus saving even more money for the government to waste

We have all heard of spend now pay later ,browne was an expert at it we will all be paying for decades to come plus ofcourse what the new government has to pay on the other labour "money saving" failed escapades like private funded hospitals and the like

Edited by chesters1

Chesters1,

You don't understand the "plan"? Well I'll explain it to you.

In the United Kingdom to make the accumulation match with the lump sum needed to pay your pension the formula is:

zprop S (((1+i rel to pay )) w - 1)/i rel to pay = (1-zprop ) R repl S (1 – ((1+i real)) -p )/i real

Bring zprop to the left hand side - under this rough and unguaranteed method, for the proportion of pay that needs to be available.:

zprop = R repl (1 – ((1+i real )) -p )/i real / [(((1+i rel to pay )) w - 1)/i rel to pay + R repl (1 – ((1+i real )) -p )/i real ]

Of coruse there will be a few who don't understand this - but what the hey - it's certainly clear to you and to me.

bluedun,

Unlike you and Vagabond (appearently), I don't understand the "formulas" completely. I thought your comment - "" ... one man (plainly your bete noir) is responsible for all pension ills."" was very insightful. REALLY?

Phone

Not sure i hinted any government was our friend but the usual trick of labour is to spend all the money bankrupting the country pretending to be our mates then the cons get the job of being the bad guy building the reserves back up until the short minded realect labour back in to waste what has accumulated.

No actual government is anyones friend they tax us and bring in laws stopping us doing what we want ,like executing mp's etc

Implying of i prefer one colour of government over another is foolish i would cheerfully pour acid down the throats of them all

Edited by chesters1

So we can cover our dept with our gold reserves then?