A Mull of Galloway adventure for Wayne and Lewis

Snatcher

As usual during the school summer holidays our two oldest grandsons,Wayne and Lewis,spent a week with us here in our caravan in Drummore. It is a static located on the Clashwhannon Caravan Park overlooking Luce Bay and where the wife and I stay for most of the summer.

As soon as they arrived they asked me if they would be going boat fishing again. My mate Tom Stevenson kindly took them out on their first ever boat fishing trip last summer. I told them that if the weather was ok they would be having another trip out with Tom. Firstly I had a shore fishing session lined up for them and that involved bait digging. It was a first for the boys and a lot harder than they thought. After about half an hour we had collected enough lugworm for a shore session.

Although both boys can swim I wanted to take them to a safe shore mark with a minimum of climbing so after a 10 minute yomp from the car we arrived at our fishing spot.

IMG_2058_zps2f779ea7.jpg

I rigged both boys up with sliding floats and had them casting out just a few yards as we had deep water at our feet. The first bit of excitement we had was Lewis falling in. I should have put money on it - this is the lad who got his head stuck in the railings at Buckingham Palace !!!!!

I was expecting the lads to start catching small wrasse and pollack fairly quickly but all they were getting were a few tentative bites. The next bit of excitement was grandad having to strip off and go in to rescue a reel handle that had "mysteriously" worked itself loose and dropped in the water. I have to say that this did amuse the boys.

Eventually Wayne did manage to catch a small wrasse. Here he is with the fish before I unhooked it and carefully returned it to fight another day.

IMG_2060_zps1ae0c253.jpg

We gave it another hour after that wrasse had been caught but with no further bites we headed back to the car. The boys had enjoyed it so that was the main thing. Next up a days fishing in Toms boat "Joshua". Tom has a static van on the Sands of Luce Caravan Park and like us spends quite a bit of the year there. We launched from Sandhead beach and headed out looking for mackerel for bait. Tom was the main fishing coach and I was photographer. Here is Tom giving Wayne a bit coaching.

IMG_7939_zps318024d4.jpg

We did not take long to find the mackerel. Here is Wayne with a full house.

IMG_7947_zpsa23097f8.jpg

Lewis also got amongst them.

IMG_7945_zps87a0eff8.jpg

The plan was to try and get the lads amongst the tope so out went whole mackerel for baits. We gave this a good few hours but the tope had not read the script and it was not to be. We then fixed the lads up mackerel strip hoping to find the boys a few species. Here is Wayne with a tub gurnard.

IMG_7950_zpsebbbefa5.jpg

Lewis with a dogfish

IMG_7953_zpsfe07f9b3.jpg

After this the wind got up a bit and the conditions got unsuitable for the boys. At this point we decided to pack in but not before Tom gave the boys a turn each at the wheel on the way back in.

IMG_7957_zps1e183ee8.jpg

What a great adventure it had been for the boys and I cannot thank Tom enough for that. It was a great day out in great company. Back at the caravan mackerel on the BBQ rounded the day off nicely.

IMG_8002_zps1b1af2ef.jpg

With the boys away now the caravan seems strangely quiet !!!! They did ask if they could stay for 2 weeks next summer though.

IMG_8019_zps6a595ed1.jpg

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Best of luck mate

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair