Imitation baits

Rice Crackers

Afternoon all...

Yesterday I impulse bought this little kit of imitation baits

bait-logic-imitation-bait-selection-smalNow as someone who float fishes I can completely see why these things make sense. With baits such as meat and bread I waste so much time hooking bait I'd love to not have to but does anyone know if these baits work very well? I'd imagine the maggots aren't great as I've used dead maggots before and found them not to work as they don't wriggle and I also reckon these baits would work better with smaller fish that bite on impulse rather than carp/tench that are attracted by smell.

I'd also imagine they're also not that effective if they're not surrounded by loosefeed.

They're slow sinking, so quite easy to pop up with a bit of foam if required.

Anyway I'm going to take these up to the Nene at the weekend and give them a try but in the meantime if anyone has any past experience of any of these baits I'd be really interested to hear it.

Fake baits can be brilliant, especially maggots and corn. I use fake maggots for tench to stop them getting battered by perch.

Also, if you're interested in using bread, but want something that will stay on the hook better, try Mosella Magic Bread, it's great.

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

The small fake baits like maggots, caster, corn actually work better for big fish that feed by sucking, rather than small fish that feed by pecking. You're right that loose feeding and baiting is important, most of the time the fish suck up the fake baits along with a mouthful of other stuff rather than pick them up deliberately. They are really good for tench, bream and carp, especially where small nuisance fish are a problem with real baits. My PBs for all 3 of those species were caught on fake baits.

I've tried flavouring them but it made no difference at all, so I don't bother any more.

I haven't used the bigger fake baits like bread, meat, pellet.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I like using them for larger species because they tend not to catch the smaller ones (which I suspect are more driven by movement) and they don't get chewed up or sucked off the hook, so you can be sure you aren't sitting behind bare hooks.

The fish on one of my local pits haven't read the script, mind, last year I was missing screaming runs on plastics, some of which eventually turned into chunky hand sized rudd.

I'd love to not have to but does anyone know if these baits work very well? I'd imagine the maggots aren't great as I've used dead maggots before and found them not to work as they don't wriggle

Dead maggots are a very good bottom bait for Crucian, Bream, Tench, Skimmers and bigger Roach.

For some reason small fish don't take them very often.

Fake pellets work very well when fishing up in the water using the pole or pellet waggler where constant casting/splashing the rig and feeding are needed.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Dead 'Real' maggots are under estimated i think. If it's heavy silt i use them all the time.

I don't like fake baits. Yes i have caugh on corn and maggot. I will use them as a pop up with a real piece though that's very useful.

Carp will hoover up anything so plastic does not even get a look at. Easy to catch fish especially in the 20lb mark

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

The reason they work so well is because fish like carp hoover over a baited area. You have to get the baiting right though, if they're picking up individual baits, like a scattering of boilies, they're much less effective.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

All,

Interesting!

I favor fakes. Took a while to have confidence in them but over time I've come to believe it's tit for tat. The one question I have never settled on for an answer. Should the hookbait be unique from the chum? My experience is sometimes yes - sometimes no. There should be an advantage one way or the other shouldn't there?

Phone