Day Tickets in NorthEast

OldManGaz

Can anyone recommend still waters in the North East and Northumberland that I can fish on a day ticket please.

I'm taking up coarse fishing again after a few years break. I've still got most of my tackle so selling up the shotguns and rimfire to finance the new tackle. Rabbits of Northumberland can feel safe again! I have no problem joining a local club but would like to fish a few waters first before I do.

Thanks in advance for your help

Gaz

Hi Gaz - welcome to the forums :P I'm local to you - one (I think?) of very few members on here who is. AS a new member, I'm unsure of whether or not you can acces the PM system yet - I've a feeling that you may have to have been a member for a specific time, or have made a minimum number of posts etc before you can?

That said, if you CAN send me a PM, please do so - I could start to post here but it would be extremely long-winded, and possibly not particularly appropriate - your location says Northumberland, but that could mean that were are neighbours, or that we could be neck-end of a hundred miles apart :-)

There ARE day-ticket waters locally, though depending on your preferences and the type of fishing you enjoy there are also probably reasons why you may not wish to fish some of them - needless to say, the closer you are to Scotland, the thinner on the ground they become. FWIW, if you have a preference for more natural venues, there are quite a few area's available, some even offer free fishing - they are perfectly capable of throwing up fish that would suprise anyone who is not actually fishing those stretches!

Anyways - PM me if you are able / want to - if you fancy a chat drop me a phone number too ... if not, tell us more about where you are, what sort of fishing you want / enjoy, and maybe a clue about what level you are at, and I'll do my best to help.

On a seperate note, if you are seriously thinking about retiring shotguns / rimfires etc, I may have a couple of very interesting suggestions for you :D

Cheers philocalist, Unable to pm just yet, I'll get posting and hopefully things will open up for me.

I grew up float and ledger fishing still waters, ponds and lakes. I dont have much interest in carp/session fishing. I just like catching fish. I've never liked the idea of a pole or whip so I'll stick to rod and reel lol. A traditionalist if there is such a thing lol.

I'm guessing fishing is mostly like riding a bike and I don't believe I've forgotten to tie a leader, spade end hook, plumb a depth, cast, play a fish or even land one but time (and fading eyesight) will tell.

I can't wait to get started if I'm honest, still need a bit of tackle yet but nearly there. I live about 19 miles north of newcastle on the coast. Theres two clubs close by but they don't seem to offer a day ticket on their waters, I'm off to a tackle shop in Ashington tomorrow to find out a bit more.

Thanks for your reply, hope pm works soon.

Gaz

Gaz - if you're up there, the most obvious place for you to make enquiries about would be the QE Lakes at Ashington - put '

Queen Elizabeth Country Park Woodhorn, Ashington, Northumberland NE63 9AT' into the search on Google Maps.
I'm not up to date on current situation, but it's a bigger water, though typically mostly fished out of the back of cars from the car park at the back of the Premier Inn shown at that location ... typical 'instant carpers' mostly unfortunately, though there is a lot of water to go at if you want ... 200 yards along the bank from this car park, and you'll have 99.9% of the water to yourself! To my definite knowledge there are carp and pike in there in excess of 20lbs, plus assorted mixed fishery overall. Last day ticket price I knew about was way less than a tenner - I think you used to be able to pay at the Premier inn, though no doubt the tackle shop you mentioned will give you current info ... or try Google tonight ... plenty of info on there!
Only drawback I'm aware of is that you (apparently) have to be a bit selective about where you park ... the car park at the Premier is safe enough, not sure about elsewhere.

I stayed at that Premier Inn a few weeks back and have to say it certainly looks like a nice water. As you said the bank near the car park was fairly crowded, but a short walk and there was no one to be seen.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Can't swear to it but I believe it's 10 posts before you can PM...

It's 15 posts nick, the 16th goes up straight away.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I stayed at that Premier Inn a few weeks back and have to say it certainly looks like a nice water. As you said the bank near the car park was fairly crowded, but a short walk and there was no one to be seen.

Shame I wasn't aware Nick - might have been good to say 'Hi' face-to-face, rather than just try to co-ordinate a trip to Wingham via email whilst 300 miles apart :-)

Was a quick overnight stop with the family on the way down south for a holiday, hardly had time for a meal far less socializing, but I may well be passing that way again before Christmas by myself in which case I'll give you a shout.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Was a quick overnight stop with the family on the way down south for a holiday, hardly had time for a meal far less socializing, but I may well be passing that way again before Christmas by myself in which case I'll give you a shout.

Do that! ... though it looks as though I'm heading in your direction shortly, though not quite as far north ... daughter is your side of Aberdeen and due a baby next week!

• Like 1