MASSIVE roach ... 5lb 9oz!

philocalist

If this proves to be a roach rather than a hybrid, it's a stupendous fish :clap2: ... and in any event, MUCH prettier than a 20lb bream, and a damn sight more impressive too, IMHO :D

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/fishonfriday/2013/09/is-this-fish-a-new-world-record/?utm_source=fof&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20130913&src=fof

Been following the big Ebro "Roach" for a few years now. I get my info directly from people based down there thanks to my old days of guiding. When they first started being spoken off I was supprised as in all the years I had fished the system I had never caught a roach of any size! Rudd,yes but no roach. But my contacts confirmed that big fish that 100% were not Rudd were being caught quite regularly but not widespread. Now Im certainly not going to list the areas on an open forum as it would betray the trust people have shown in me!

These guys are professional guides and good all round anglers but they are not roach experts. I say this as they believe they are roach but as this photo shows could be easily fooled. My view? I hope they are true roach (as we know them) and will admit that my interest in them would be SLIGHTLY diminished if proved not to be BUT still cracking looking creatures! But Im simply not qualified to say if they are or not. Hope someone can.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thats a mighty roach

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

The easiest way to tell roach apart from ide is the lateral line scale count; roach are usually about 42 and ide around 55 or more; in other words ide have smaller scales than roach. This fish isn't that easy to tell as I couldn't get the detail that well from the pic but I still got around 55 - if that's a roach then I'm a dutchman - the mouth doesn't look right for a roach either. Lovely fish though.