Dominican Republic - shore fishing - any advice?

Paulg

Hi all,

Out to the Dominican Republic on Thursday, for two weeks chilling out.....fortunately I seem to have managed to smuggle some fishing gear into the suitcase :D

Staying on the north-east coast, and hope to get a bit of shore fishing in, so.....any advice would be most appreciated !

I've had a bit of info from a few people, but it seems like shore fishing perhaps isn't that good. I don't really care about catching monsters, but it would be really nice to add some new species to my capture list.

Cheers for any input!

Paul

Paulg,

There is no beach fishing in Punta Cana (where we stayed) or elsewhere here on the island organized for tourists that I could find.

You will NOT do much from the beach I don't think(?), the barrier reef is out a couple hundred yards....very shallow.I didn't see anyone fishing from the beach - even natives.

They have very cool 4 - 6 hr deep sea fishing junkets. (I didn't go)

Phone

Thanks for the responses Phone.

Gave up cigars about 15 years ago....but your description tempts me to at least try one :D

As for the shore fishing, I don't need anything organised, just fancy wandering out early morning, if the hangover lets me! Most feedback I've had is to scrounge some prawns or squid from the kitchen staff and freeline or float fish it.....where we are staying has a lot of reef close in, with channels in between, so bottom fishing (don't get smutty!) is probably not an option!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the early '60s I was working on a cargo vessel docked in a harbour in Barohana.

A huge shark swam into the harbour and I threw in a chicken wing to keep it interested whilst I went to grab my fishing gear (pike rod!)

Rather than attracting the shark, the small splash spooked the giant and it went off like a rocket, heading back out to sea :(

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust