Sound and the bite

Phone

What is everyones opinion on the noise caused by raking a swim? I know some anglers think that fish are attracted to swims even as they are racked but from my experience the fish run a mile from the noise and commotion.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same as you Dale, can’t see any reason why fish would be attracted to the commotion of repeatedly throwing a rake in. Yet I keep on reading of raking attracting Tench and catching as soon as a bait goes in. Never been brave enough to try though, only raked as a means to clear weed away then fished some time later (days).

Also amazes me that ‘matchmen’ make so much noise with dumping gear down, setting up, shouting to each other and runners between pegs, yet still manage good catches….

Raking a swim makes me think mainly of tench, and tench are funny things. Skyline one in the margins or jump around on the bank, and they (like all fish) really don't like it at all. But spod a load of bait out, and they really don't seem to be frightened by it. Even on relatively low stock, natural waters, I've caught tench 'mid-spod', and very often get a bite after a recast, which can be a noisy affair at times with a lead + PVA bag.

I've never raked a swim, so can't comment on that, but have heard plenty of stories about catching fish soon after the raking. Perhaps the fish that were in the swim when the rake crashed in bolted off, but once the commotion died down and under the cover of all the coloured and stirred up water, other tench in the area wander over to investigate.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Raking a swim makes me think mainly of tench, and tench are funny things. Skyline one in the margins or jump around on the bank, and they (like all fish) really don't like it at all. But spod a load of bait out, and they really don't seem to be frightened by it. Even on relatively low stock, natural waters, I've caught tench 'mid-spod', and very often get a bite after a recast, which can be a noisy affair at times with a lead + PVA bag.

I've never raked a swim, so can't comment on that, but have heard plenty of stories about catching fish soon after the raking. Perhaps the fish that were in the swim when the rake crashed in bolted off, but once the commotion died down and under the cover of all the coloured and stirred up water, other tench in the area wander over to investigate.

I've raked swims and you're right Andrew, within minutes of stopping, tench have been bubbling in the swim. I'm sure that the cloud of silt and the food it contains soon overcomes any wariness. Tench usually like low light levels, so I believe that they 'feel' safer in the cloudy water.

On the subject of sound/vibration and it's effect on fish. I was once fishing for chub, and I had a stinking cold. I crept down the bank upstream of a group of chub, lying in shallow water on the far bank, under the cover of a small bush. I had one fish out, and waited for the swim to settle before casting again, feeding a few free offerings. I eventually cast, and could see the fish taking the freebies, and I watched my bait. I felt a sneeze coming on, and tried to stifle it, no chance! When I sneezed, the water erupted, and the fish shot off downstream. This was from cover, about 15-20 yds away. I believe it's mainly sudden noise or movement that disturbs them the most.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Cheers guys about the raking, so many people tell me that they catch Tench after or even during raking but it never seems to work for me.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I suspect that it really depends on the species and the sound. Pacu are well know to be attracted to the sound of fruit hitting the water. The same is true of mahseer. In both cases, it's an instinct that I've exploited to catch fish.

Conversely chub - well, everybody knows how chub respond to disturbance

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I suspect that it really depends on the species and the sound.

I agree, the perch on the K&A canal don’t seem to be disturbed at all by boat noise, they feel it coming a long way off and must be used to it getting louder as the boat approaches. Last week I caught a decent specimen just as a boat was passing to enter the lock, the boaters were amazed because all other anglers they’d encountered had told them that boats ruin the fishing.

What does completely stop the perch feeding though is the effect on the water as the lock paddles are opened. My favourite swim is proper canal i.e. a lock cut slack water, as soon as any flow is introduced through the lock being used the fish won’t bite, only when the water’s settled again will they show any interest. They’re so predictable that I don’t bother casting out again until the lock is empty and the current & eddies have stopped.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I remember fishing for perch at a little stream I used to fish a few years ago. On this occasion a canoe came through the swim, something I'd never seen before (or since). It is a very small and shallow waterway, only about 1 rodlength wide and about 2-3ft deep, very quiet, and he made a huge racket as he came though, splashing, paddles scraping along the gravel bottom, pulling on overhanging trees to get through little gaps. I was really annoyed as bites from there were always quite hard to come by, but believe it or not I caught one of the perch only about 20 minutes later.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Back to Phones post - the only thing sound CANNOT travel through is a vacuum.

As sound can travel through water as vibrations the answer to your post is yes:

Fish - just like humans must get used to their enviroment and its sounds, many venues are next to main roads or railway lines.

Humans living near these get used to the sound and tune it out as do wild animals in the same areas - but if there is foreign sound it attracts attention as it is out of place.

Chub - theres an interesing one, stand on a stick and they are off like a shot, cast in a slug and they are on it in a shot!

Why? Slugs fall in rivers and are food, snapping sticks are caused by large mammals who may be looking for food.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!