matt hayes or john wilson

deanbmw

just been readin a message board on www.fishtec.co.uk subject all time best angler?

angling times has john wilson as no1 and matt hayes at no6......well?

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About right too! The league table was in angling nonentity a few weeks ago. Yes, JW was at the top and, strangely enough, Nev Fickling was in there too. Strange because there are other pikers who been rather more succesful than Nev, Derrick Amies for example.

Certainly Dick Walker was a contender for that number one spot, but not Matt, albeit he is a very able angler.

John Wilson, Richard Walker then Matt Hayes, probably!

I vote for Dick Walker. I've just been reading 'Walkers Pitch' and he clearly had a major influence on my fishing techniques when I used to read his column years ago.

What I can't work out though is why I don't enjoy the same catches.

i go with walker every time. no one has changed the face of angling or made anglers realise that big fish were indeed catchable than dick walker. also look at the items of tackle that he designed. the first carp rods, bite alarms and the arlesly bomb.

as for matt hayes and john wilsoni i have to say i prefer matts programmes as they are far more wide ranging in species etc but does that make him a better angler, i think not, wilson would pip him to that one in my opinion.

pete nev is higher than derrick amies as he has caught his fish from many differing kinds of waters. i would hazzard a guess that 80% of derricks big fish have come from the broads. i am sure that derrick would catch them too but as derrick also is a bit more reclusive, then he is not going to come to the fore as much.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

But Derrick has caught two forties, including a record that was bigger than Nev's. Yes, Derrick is reclusive, but he is, and has been writing a book for years. I, for one am looking forward to reading it. Mark, if ever you are in the Gorleston area its worth dropping into Derrick's shop. He is very drole, very dry but he knows pike like no other man that I've ever met. Derrick has some interesting things to say about Nev!