River Medway advice

dansmudge

hello

i've recently taken up fishing again and have only ever fished commercial lakes before but i'm now feeling the need to try my hand on running water, (the thought of which, i'm finding pretty daunting)

there is a stretch of the medway which is day ticket and encircles the sports ground at tonbridge. i was wondering if anyone has fished there and could impart any valuable advice?

(the reason i have chosen this area is that i live in south east london and wasn't sure where to fish, i used to go to college in tonbridge and vaguely remember walking along that stretch of river. i also have friends who live close by so i could set off from their's in the morning, saving myself a long drive)

any advice or suggestions of other places to fish would be great.

cheers

dan

p.s. bit more info... i'd really like to try feeder fishing for bream or chub is this a possibility on that stretch of the medway?

[ 21. January 2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: dansmudge ]

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dansmudge, I think I fished that stretch many, many years ago.

As I remember, it was normal Medway fishing for me, swim feeder, quiver tip, maggots and worm.

These Tackle Shops may be worth a ring.

Medway Tackle 01732 360670

Tonbridge Rod & Line 01732 352450.

If you like pole fishing, the town stretch in the middle of Maidstone fishes well and its free.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Actually the Medway has been well-covered previously so if you key-in the word Medway into the Search option at the top of the page, you'll get a list of more threads to read than you can shake a stick at

Njoy!

DG

[ 22. January 2004, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Hi dansmudge

I can't help with the Tonvridge area of the Medway but I can give you a few pointers in the right direction in the Maidstone area and surrounding area if you want that should help to put a few fish on the bank as thats where I fish the Medway.

A good tackle shop to call for maidstone area would be "Maidstone Angling Center" they are very helpful.

If you want some info on the maidstone area let me know and I'll post them on here for you.

PETE.

Fishing in Kent and the south east. With a new look for 2003.

http://www.angelfire.com/pw/thetangler

The Tangler:

Hi dansmudge

I can't help with the Tonvridge area of the Medway but I can give you a few pointers in the right direction in the Maidstone area and surrounding area if you want that should help to put a few fish on the bank as thats where I fish the Medway.

A good tackle shop to call for maidstone area would be "Maidstone Angling Center" they are very helpful.

If you want some info on the maidstone area let me know and I'll post them on here for you.

thanks mr the tangler

that would a great help, as i said earlier i've only pinpointed tonbridge as i have vague knowldge of the area and have friends that live close by, so i could set off from there in the morning meaning a shorter drive and more time on the bank.

i'd love suggestions of other places to try. (especially if they are more suited to a novice river fisherman). i live in south east london but my mum lives in tenterden, kent so that could also a base to set off from.

i remember spending a day watching my dad fishing near yalding when i was younger and have heard people mention it on this forum, so any info on there would be great too.

cheers

dan

quote:

Originally posted by The Diamond Geezer:

Actually the Medway has been well-covered previously so if you key-in the word Medway into the Search option at the top of the page, you'll get a list of more threads to read than you can shake a stick at

Njoy!

DG

It was a pleasure !

The Invisible Geezer

(must have lost weight since Xmas :D )

The Diamond Geezer:

quote:

Njoy!

DG

It was a pleasure !

The Invisible Geezer

(must have lost weight since Xmas :D )

don't panic your perfectly invisible, i just haven't had a chance to do a search yet, i was going to have a trawl and then come back with a post specifically thanking your good self.

i'm not a regular on forums so i'm not too hot on the old posting etiquette.

cheers

dan

quote:

[QB]

Njoy!

DG

crikey!

i'm starting to regret doing that search now, some of the descriptions that leapt out at me were... crap... moody... hard... **** poor!

ok, to be fair there were a couple of slightly more positive comments but certainly not enough to encourage a total river novice.

do you think i may be biting off more than i can chew for my first time on running water?

dan

quote:

Originally posted by dansmudge:

do you think i may be biting off more than i can chew for my first time on running water?

dan

Dan

Definitely not! Go for it .... although in my experience, the Medway's not the easiest of rivers to fish. (I used to have a small boat on the Medway years ago)

If you live in London, and travel to Kent, in my opinion, there are easier places to kick-off with. I'll have to put-on my thinking cap :D

DG