EATING PIKE

Houghton

Every time theres a re run of one of the TV chefs cooking a pike the panic mongers go off on one thinking we will be all killing and eating every pike/carp in the country.I just fail to believe that that many people actually bother! not seen many catching squirrels,hedgehogs or even a great upward trend in pidgeon or rabbit just because theyve watched a telly programme on eating them!

I suppose I will be drummed out of the PAC for this but in reality I reckon far more pike are inadvertently killed by pikers catching them than ones taken for the table.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OI OI,

Just put them back, Or i'm sending the boy's round with a horses head O.K. LOL

:oops::oops::oops::whistling::whistling:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

I suppose I will be drummed out of the PAC for this but in reality I reckon far more pike are inadvertently killed by pikers catching them than ones taken for the table.

Agreed, and the ones that I get which are badly hooked go to the table. As I stated somewhere here recently there has only been one of those in the last 3 years. I have deliberately killed Jacks for the table, but many years ago. perhaps the reason I take so many cleanly hooked fish these days is because over 90% of my Piking is with lures? I wonder how many fish which are clearly not going to make it are pushed back out into the water to die out of sight and so out of conscience? That way the captor can look suitably horrified in conversations around the killing of pike.

Kit list for the humane handling of Pike

Mat

long nosed plyers

Cutters capable of easily snipping through hooks

Suitable weighing sling

Priest...a club sufficiantly weighted to ensure an effective dispatch of even the largest of Pike.

I suspect that the last item will be challenged by some, who don't include it as part of their tackle. Such a challenge is only valid from someone who can be 100% sure that they will never ever fatally hook a fish.

I like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's approach to 'wild food' especially as he points out the hypocracy of those who happily guzzle dead battery birds and animals yet recoil in horror at the thought of eating which has lived a decent natural life.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I wonder how many fish which are clearly not going to make it are pushed back out into the water to die out of sight and so out of conscience? That way the captor can look suitably horrified in conversations around the killing of pike.

I like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's approach to 'wild food' especially as he points out the hypocracy of those who happily guzzle dead battery birds and animals yet recoil in horror at the thought of eating which has lived a decent natural life.

And from my experiences of retaining pike in long term holding pens prior to movement many that swim off strongly and apparently no worse for the experience too later turn belly up! the unknowing angler totally unaware and patting himself on the back for a job well done.

Your second point is also very true.A great many of the "annimal rights"/"annimal lovers" extremists Ive come across exhibit this NIMBY type attitude.I often wonder if I would be so keen on eating meat if I had to actually deal with the realities of killing it.I would either become a vegitarian or realise a completely new out look on life/death of other creatures.

Kit list for the humane handling of Pike

Mat

long nosed plyers

Cutters capable of easily snipping through hooks

Suitable weighing sling

Priest...a club sufficiantly weighted to ensure an effective dispatch of even the largest of Pike.

I suspect that the last item will be challenged by some, who don't include it as part of their tackle. Such a challenge is only valid from someone who can be 100% sure that they will never ever fatally hook a fish.

Youve got me by the short and curlies here! I have to say that I dont and will never carry a priest as part of my pike gear.If ever there arose enough situations where I found myself needing one to humanely dispatch a pike that I felt needed "putting out of its misery" I would have to seriously look at the way I pike fish.

That said despite the fact that Im a competent piker (ie use goodbite indication,fish dilligently,use good equipment,have all the information/experience of both good handling and un hooking techniques etc) I cant ever say that Im 100% sure I wont fattaly damage/kill a pike.

My biggest problem with "mercy" killing isnt so much people not having the correct equipment to dispatch a fish but more not having enough knowledge to make the right decission to do so or not.

I mentioned earlier my experiences with retained pike that looked perfectly healthy when put in the pens later dying.This experience also has a flip side in that Ive also seen some that would surely die recover! A lot of the time we simply cant be 100% sure.If I kill all dodgy looking pike then they will definately all die,given a chance then not all will. Yes some will die and suffer doing so but like I said Ive seen many "fine looking" ones turn turtle as well.No ones going to sugest killing all though to prevent the chance of any possible suffering are they.........er except perhaps a few old fashioned game anglers/match anglers,bird watchers,or in deed the German Green Party! ;):rolleyes:

No put them back and hope for the best must be the way.However if you are intentionally going to catch one to kill then its down right iresponsible to not have a priest.

Edited by BUDGIE

Guest Rabbit

Well said Budgie, perhaps these comments coming from you will be allowed to stand without editorial comment.

Is this not supposed to be an Angling forum where we as fellow anglers concern ourselves with catching, releasing our quarry and not exchanging recipes as to how to best eat them? In case you anglers that condone such behaviour and feel it's your 'right' to kill for the pot, think again, our rivers are under attack from species that now eat fresh water fish because man has taken all their sea fish.

Along with the problem of the mass killing of fish by our EA cousins it all adds up to a pretty grim picture that will see the rivers go the same way as our coast lines. so to those who for strange reason that think it's OK to eat our coarse fish can I suggest you take your heads out of the sand and start sending out the right messages to the many that would follow your lead.

There are some strange goings on on AN lately, i would suggest that instead of attacking those that condemn the killing of fish, look at the ones who condone and suggest they find another site to fulfil their culinary ambitions. :angry:

Guest Rabbit

Oh really?? the old maxim that two wrongs don't make a right,. To cite the demise of battery hens vs the killing of pike is desperation.

GUZZLE? dead battery hens WHAT??

Get real, some folk cannot afford to buy beef, pork and so on, there is real porblem with food costs soaring, eggs are nutritional and fairly cheap, as is chicken meat Chickens ARE sustainable. Pike meat is NOT

Hugh F W is an entertaining celeb that makes money from his series, he does not give a toss about our native fish stocks, and liberates many thousand of wannabes to think the same, seems he has snared you as well :rolleyes:

Every time theres a re run of one of the TV chefs cooking a pike the panic mongers go off on one thinking we will be all killing and eating every pike/carp in the country.I just fail to believe that that many people actually bother! not seen many catching squirrels,hedgehogs or even a great upward trend in pidgeon or rabbit just because theyve watched a telly programme on eating them!

I'm a pike angler and would agree with that statement

Pike definately not suatainable, TBH from my experiences they are getting rarer and rarer!

Hugh F W is an entertaining celeb that makes money from his series, he does not give a toss about our native fish stocks

Actually in both the TV series and his book (which is excellent) he discusses the sustainability of each species, suggesting those such as eels are best left alone.

Nice to see this topic has descended into this unpleasant accusatory mudslinging that we've had of late. It amazes me how unpleasant people are to each other behind the relative anonimity of their computer, I dare say these conversations would be more polite face to face.

Rich