EATING PIKE

Houghton

Guest Rabbit
Actually in both the TV series and his book (which is excellent) he discusses the sustainability of each species, suggesting those such as eels are best left alone.

Nice to see this topic has descended into this unpleasant accusatory mudslinging that we've had of late. It amazes me how unpleasant people are to each other behind the relative anonimity of their computer, I dare say these conversations would be more polite face to face.

Rich

Now doubt at all, but hey I am sorry if I have offended your HFW against the welfare of the Pike, frankly my dear I don't give a damn :D

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get real, some folk cannot afford to buy beef, pork and so on, there is real porblem with food costs soaring, eggs are nutritional and fairly cheap, as is chicken meat Chickens ARE sustainable. Pike meat is NOT
The French seem to be able to make it sustainable, there is nearly always frozen 'brochet' (jack pike) in the freezers in the supermarkets. Personally I don't like pike very much, a nice fat perch in a mushroom and champagne sauce or stuffed with artichoke hearts is MUCH better.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Guest Rabbit

Well seeing it is a French dish, the pike are more than likely reared fot the pot.

Enjoy you nice fat perch for breakfast, careful with the bones, don't want you choking :D

Given that pike are an extremely fast growing species, and that prior (misguided) attempts to deliberately exterminate them have failed dismally, I don't think there is any chance whatsoever of their long term survival being threatened by angling for the pot. They're extremely sustainable.

no doupt in ww2 everything catchable was taken for the pot and it happened in the 50's if fish and birds (even songbirds were eaten in ww2) were not sustainable naturally they wouldn't be here today and remember pike had a very hard time by bailiffs until it dawned on people pike bring balance to a water.

if anything in nature is thinned out the ones remaining grow faster and breed earlier ,if they are completely removed then the other species fill in the gaps until a balance is achieved (foxes and rabbits rules) but without a major predator they tend to eventually weaken and stunt themselves etc.

even predators like herons and grebes are factored in ,i had a conversation with an irate angler moaning that a heron was eating fish ,i answered if herons were a threat to fish then fish would have died out millions of years before man appeared. mink in reality hardly make any difference in fish stocks !they tend to scout the banks for dead or sick fish before going to the effort of catching fit ones but their bad points are they like birds as well :( so one of the signs is suddenly your birdlife disapears they also eat eggs but so do crows ,badgers ,foxes and weasels.

single corms probably kill more fish through infection than they eat and whilst one wont make a difference more than one tend to attract their friends until the place is stripped of edible fish and sick larger ones through infection brought on by wounds.

the biggest threat to everything is man ,whilst we "like" fish we dont take too long to pollute the water they live in ,we bring unbalance to waters (especially commercials) adjusting the balance of fish that nature would never do ,commercials stocks need anglers to feed them without them they would starve then refuse to breed and eventually become balanced again ,nature would then reintroduce the missing bits until all was well again

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

pike had a very hard time by bailiffs until it dawned on people pike bring balance to a water.
In Scotland Glasgow Corporation used to net many of their reservoirs for pike. My Uncles father used to do the pike nets on Loch Katrine. He netted hundreds each winter/spring. What the shepherd's dogs would not eat was chucked in the midden.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

thats mans interference ,any trout or salmon in the vicinity ;)

its still happening here and there but mostly birds of prey "disappear" around grouse and pheasant exploiting areas.

and its happening on the grand scale near uk fishing ponds (or rather the side effects are) ,we now cannot use dead animals to feed animals so were hoovering up the seas taking traditionaly non edible "fish" (especially sand eels) to grind up as cattle food or become "natural" fertiliser ,our corm friends cant find the fish that used to feed on the non edible (human) so take ours instead.now its fashionable to use dolphin friendly line caught tuna its overlooked that albatrosses are becoming thin on the ground being victims of long lines whereas before they escaped nets.there squillions of dolphins but unfortunately their cute but big fat birds are just birds in the consumers eye.

its simply down to over population and profit by business becoming prominent over nature balance.

as for all these fish caught by trawlers bugger knows where they go i certainly cant afford fish every friday its a monthly treat to have cod and chips :rolleyes:

even plankton is being harvested by the ton which effects all the foodchain from the bottom to the very top :angry:

its pointless "saving" whales from a sudden death then starve them slowly to death through lack of food

http://www.ntnu.no/gemini/2002-06e/36-38.htm

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Actually in both the TV series and his book (which is excellent) he discusses the sustainability of each species, suggesting those such as eels are best left alone.

Come on Rich, play the game properly - leave the facts out of it, OK?

Please add more vague emotional statements.

:rolleyes:

That goes for you too, Steve Walker.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Come on Rich, play the game properly - leave the facts out of it, OK?

Please add more vague emotional statements.

:rolleyes:

That goes for you too, Steve Walker.

It's been suggested that we find another forum to discuss this, maybe we should, then that would leave the 'majority' of 'normal' anglers to talk to himself. :blink:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Rabbit
It's been suggested that we find another forum to discuss this, maybe we should, then that would leave the 'majority' of 'normal' anglers to talk to himself. :blink:

John.

Well try posting your culinary ideas for our fish on sites that do have an element of anglers that actually put the welfare of fish and our sport before our stomachs. Don't think marinaded barbel hearts would be well received on Barbel Fishing World..

There the members would deem the killing of their quarry counter productive and possible unnecessarily stupid. Why? Well I am sure I don't have to explain, even to you do i?