EATING PIKE

Houghton

never tried barbel but i have most of the others is it tasty?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well try posting your culinary ideas for our fish on sites that do have an element of anglers that actually put the welfare of fish and our sport before our stomachs. Don't think marinaded barbel hearts would be well received on Barbel Fishing World..

There the members would deem the killing of their quarry counter productive and possible unnecessarily stupid. Why? Well I am sure I don't have to explain, even to you do i?

Firstly, your the only one to mention barbel Neil.

Secondly, please do explain the facts to me, (without using emotive or self-serving statements).

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest tigger
Hugh F W is an entertaining celeb that makes money from his series, he does not give a toss about our native fish stocks, rolleyes:

That sounds just about right to me. A couple of my friends went fishing with him once and they reckon he was a plonker. He seems to eat any fish of any size. As Rabbit says he's an entertainer and a bit of contraversial stuff gets him viewers and higher ratings.

Guest Rabbit
Firstly, your the only one to mention barbel Neil.

Secondly, please do explain the facts to me, (without using emotive or self-serving statements).

John.

Pike Barbel Roach all the same to you and Hugh, see it as a square meal rather that a valued catch that should be returned..there will that do :D

Actually in both the TV series and his book (which is excellent) he discusses the sustainability of each species, suggesting those such as eels are best left alone.

Nice to see this topic has descended into this unpleasant accusatory mudslinging that we've had of late. It amazes me how unpleasant people are to each other behind the relative anonimity of their computer, I dare say these conversations would be more polite face to face.

Rich

It's been suggested that we find another forum to discuss this, maybe we should, then that would leave the 'majority' of 'normal' anglers to talk to himself. :blink:

John.

My sentiments exactly.

Well try posting your culinary ideas for our fish on sites that do have an element of anglers that actually put the welfare of fish and our sport before our stomachs. Don't think marinaded barbel hearts would be well received on Barbel Fishing World..

There the members would deem the killing of their quarry counter productive and possible unnecessarily stupid. Why? Well I am sure I don't have to explain, even to you do i?

I've been watching this debate go back and forth with some amusement for the last few weeks. The vast majority of Anglers don't take Coarse fish for the pot and the small minority who do really aren't doing any harm to our fish stocks - how many fish do you imagine the EA alone stock compared to those taken for the pot by Anglers?

WRT the comments regarding Pike not being a sustainable food source. Pike will never be popular enough to become under threat from Anglers taking the odd fish for the pot simply because they really don't taste that good. The fact that virtually every match angling club who managed a water tried their level best to exterminate Pike for several decades until they thankfully got wise also seems to have gone unnoticed or disregarded here.

I'd say that this forum represents a good cross section of Anglers and you're clearly in the minority here yet you're still trying your level best to ram your opinions and moral high ground down the throats of others to the point where you're now making yourself look like a bit of an arse. Give up for gods sake, it's getting boring now.

Most pike eaten in France are imported from The eastern block, Latvia export many 100's of tons of pike (and snails) to France, it is an important export for there economy, Most of the pike come from the Baltic sea, were they are netted along with sea trout, salmon, cod, perch, mackerel and wolf fish.

The Baltic pike are in no danger of over fishing, they are fished for less now than in the soviet era. (The cod is a different story)

The Fish in the French supermarkets are undoubtedly these fish, I am sure many local French anglers catch and eat there own, but the housewife or House Husband who does not fish can grab a pike at the local convenience store.

Pike are widely eaten all over Europe and Russia and have been since time began, I don't believe they are in decline in these countries.

Having said that you have to do an awful lot to them to make them any good, I used to work in a restaurant that put pike on the menu from time to time, it was the best seller when on the menu.

The public have a real curiosity for it.

I would also suggest that those that are up in arms about eating pike should never have a nice portion of cod from the chippy again as this is a species that is really under threat, and the sea anglers are finding it harder and harder to catch good cod.

All you course anglers eating our quarry is a far more interesting topic to debate than the odd pike going in the frying pan, cod are being systematically wiped out.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

HF-W cooks with hensbane... no wonder he's a bit odd, it's poisonous.

MC

You sure about that? The BBC reported yesterday that it was the Gastro Gnome A W-T, now there's a ****!

Guest Rabbit
My sentiments exactly.

I've been watching this debate go back and forth with some amusement for the last few weeks. The vast majority of Anglers don't take Coarse fish for the pot and the small minority who do really aren't doing any harm to our fish stocks - how many fish do you imagine the EA alone stock compared to those taken for the pot by Anglers?

WRT the comments regarding Pike not being a sustainable food source. Pike will never be popular enough to become under threat from Anglers taking the odd fish for the pot simply because they really don't taste that good. The fact that virtually every match angling club who managed a water tried their level best to exterminate Pike for several decades until they thankfully got wise also seems to have gone unnoticed or disregarded here.

I'd say that this forum represents a good cross section of Anglers and you're clearly in the minority here yet you're still trying your level best to ram your opinions and moral high ground down the throats of others to the point where you're now making yourself look like a bit of an arse. Give up for gods sake, it's getting boring now.

Me an arse, :P from someone that says that pike popular enough to become a threat from Anglers taking the odd fish...

Maybe not but it's not the odd fish when it comes to some folk who see Pike as an easy target for the table. where have you been the last few years? Has your head been up yours?

Don't think my views are in the minority at all, just not frightened to air them matey

enid blyton mention yew berry pie in one of her books (five die in agony) yes you can eat yew berries but after removing the pip which is the most deadly bit.

fox glove "juice" is poisonous but its (or used to be) used for ulcers.

fresh water fish have always been sold in londons fishmarket we've always had communities that eat them

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest tigger
Most pike eaten in France are imported from The eastern block, Latvia export many 100's of tons of pike (and snails) to France, it is an important export for there economy, Most of the pike come from the Baltic sea, were they are netted along with sea trout, salmon, cod, perch, mackerel and wolf fish.

The Baltic pike are in no danger of over fishing, they are fished for less now than in the soviet era. (The cod is a different story)

The Fish in the French supermarkets are undoubtedly these fish, I am sure many local French anglers catch and eat there own, but the housewife or House Husband who does not fish can grab a pike at the local convenience store.

Pike are widely eaten all over Europe and Russia and have been since time began, I don't believe they are in decline in these countries.

Having said that you have to do an awful lot to them to make them any good, I used to work in a restaurant that put pike on the menu from time to time, it was the best seller when on the menu.

The public have a real curiosity for it.

I would also suggest that those that are up in arms about eating pike should never have a nice portion of cod from the chippy again as this is a species that is really under threat, and the sea anglers are finding it harder and harder to catch good cod.

All you course anglers eating our quarry is a far more interesting topic to debate than the odd pike going in the frying pan, cod are being systematically wiped out.

Hang on a minuite, the Eastern block and France are a bit bigger and less populated than the UK.