EATING PIKE

Houghton

Me an arse, :P from someone that says that pike popular enough to become a threat from Anglers taking the odd fish...

Maybe not but it's not the odd fish when it comes to some folk who see Pike as an easy target for the table. where have you been the last few years? Has your head been up yours?

Don't think my views are in the minority at all, just not frightened to air them matey

Are you for real, how many Pike do you think get taken for the table by Anglers? Now compare that number to those that used to get whacked over the head or slung up the bank by Matchmen and ask yourself did the Pike stocks recover from that.

I'm not talking about migrants here either, that's another issue.

You're views are in the minority, matey, that much is clear.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also suggest that those that are up in arms about eating pike should never have a nice portion of cod from the chippy again as this is a species that is really under threat, and the sea anglers are finding it harder and harder to catch good cod.

All you course anglers eating our quarry is a far more interesting topic to debate than the odd pike going in the frying pan, cod are being systematically wiped out.

Well said BR :)

With all wild fish, the taste varies hugely depending on where they live. I don't like the taste of reared rainbow trout (possibly the most over-rated fish ever?) but I once caught and cooked a wild brownie from a little stream in Scotland and it was out of this world. I've eaten pike and zander from the Norfolk drains and contrary to what you might expect, they were delicious, much like cod, with no muddiness. It also depends on how you cook it, obviously.

It happened all the time when I was growing up - pike were eaten regularly and almost all zander were thrown up the bank. As you all know, Norfolk is now devoid of both species... :rolleyes:

Houghton, if you're able to legally catch and kill a coarse fish for the purpose of eating it, there's nothing to stop you. You won't be wiping out an ecosystem and it's a damn sight fairer to the planet than intensive farming. It's a fish for goodness' sake, not a deity. I'd make 4-5lb the limit though, no-one's suggesting you take a 20lber.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

enid blyton mention yew berry pie in one of her books (five die in agony) yes you can eat yew berries but after removing the pip which is the most deadly bit.

fox glove "juice" is poisonous but its (or used to be) used for ulcers.

fresh water fish have always been sold in londons fishmarket we've always had communities that eat them

when I was in a kid, the birmingham fish market sold roach and bream, not sure if they still do butyou could see whole stands full of them.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Hang on a minuite, the Eastern block and France are a bit bigger and less populated than the UK.

But I could argue that hardly anyone in the UK eats pike, but it is common practise in the east.

If you believe what is written here all the fish in the east have been eaten, which is not the case.

Pike in the UK are properly killed less now than at any time in the UK history.

Pike would have been on the UK menu for thousands of years and guess what there still here.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Guest Rabbit
Are you for real, how many Pike do you think get taken for the table by Anglers? Now compare that number to those that used to get whacked over the head or slung up the bank by Matchmen and ask yourself did the Pike stocks recover from that.

I'm not talking about migrants here either, that's another issue.

You're views are in the minority, matey, that much is clear.

ANGLERS are not the REAL problem are they l? Have you checked out the river banks lately? Look for the long lines set with a dead bait for pike. i have counted and destroyed dozens in the last two years, by progressing this attitude that it's OK to eat coarse fish is opening the flood gates to every Tom Dick and Herman to do the same, only they are not content to take the odd fish.

in the minority on here? ...maybe...the Angling community.... no matey :P

Guest tigger
when I was in a kid, the birmingham fish market sold roach and bream, not sure if they still do butyou could see whole stands full of them.

If you visit Bolton market you would be shocked, there's hundreds of large Bream, 2lb Roach, Perch you name it it's there every day........where are they all coming from? I think there was an article about it in tha Angling times a bit back.

Pike Barbel Roach all the same to you and Hugh, see it as a square meal rather that a valued catch that should be returned..there will that do :D

Thanks for enlightening me with those irrefutable facts Neil. :thumbs::unsure:

Keep it up mate, you've nearly convinced me. :blink:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

ANGLERS are not the REAL problem are they l? Have you checked out the river banks lately? Look for the long lines set with a dead bait for pike. i have counted and destroyed dozens in the last two years, by progressing this attitude that it's OK to eat coarse fish is opening the flood gates to every Tom Dick and Herman to do the same, only they are not content to take the odd fish.

Setting illegal lines is another issue.

The fact remains that, providing the fishery rules allow it and he has the standard EA fishing licence, the original poster is quite entitled to take fish for the pot.

Anyone setting a long line for Pike is not an Angler in my book.

It's been OK to eat Coarse Fish since the dawn of time, I don't see why that should change and you're doing nothing to convince me.

And yes, even within the Angling community I'd say you're in the minority. Maybe amongst your friends you're not but birds of a feather and all that.

Any Angler worth his salt wouldn't take fish without the appropriate permission, wouldn't take oversized fish and wouldn't take too many. I wouldn't imagine many Anglers having a problem with that.

Guest tigger

The problem with promoting the eating of course fish(especially on the World web) is people who've never even considerd eating course fish will have a go just for the hell of it and they may well be in their thousands. Also any immigrants looking in will just go for it all the more if they see UK anglers promoting/condoning it. Ok if you eat the occasional fish so be it but don't spout about how good it is on the internet.