EATING PIKE

Houghton

Hugh F W is an entertaining celeb that makes money from his series, he does not give a toss about our native fish stocks, and liberates many thousand of wannabes to think the same, seems he has snared you as well :rolleyes:

I should be flattered that you imagine that I am young enough to have been so influenced by Hugh FW, however I was catching and cooking wild food before he was allowed unsupervised in the kitchen. I understand that television, as well as being an exellent medum for expanding knowledge and sharing ideas, does tend to throw up these characters, but please, there are many of us whose life experience has formed who we are and are not reliant on a voice from the corner of the room. Do you adopt this very patronising approach in real time, or is it something which you reserve for online conversations?

You said ' some folk cannot afford to buy beef, pork and so on, and this may be true and so the horror of battery birds has come about to fill a nutritional gap, however humans dont have to eat birds in order to survive, (millions of vegetarians globally don't starve to death) they simply choose to. Nor does everyone have access to wild food, I do and if and when it is taken away I will refrain from meat eating.

A someone has pointed out in this thread what usually threatens species is the destruction or theft of habitat, not the removal of individuals. For example the Pike in my local lake are a subject of concern and research by Lancaster university, research which is being informed by the findings of we season ticket holder anglers. The professor leading the research presented the findings to date at a meeting with us in May. It seems that the evidence collated so far indicates that the decline in both overall numbers caught and the size of individuals id due to increased nutrients entering the water which affects the eco-system from the algae upwards, with the silting on the once clear stony bottom a specific problem. The source of the nutrients are fertiliser run off from farmland. the land is artificially ferilised to grow things to feed humans. more nutrients come from a water treatment plant upstream of the system, dealing with the end result of feeding humans!

Some explanations from anglers were that the Cormorants were eating all the Pike, and that anglers using barbed hooks were the problem. All the evidence to shows that fish have ben predated upon for millinia and yet do not become extinct, nor even suffer as a species given that that have a proper environment. The Pike population survived through the period of human persicution where almost every caught individual was killed, what it seems that they can't cope with is the negative human impact upon their environment.

The choice of screen name 'Rabbit' perhaps an apt one in these 'eat/don't eat' debates. Rabbit has of course long featured on the wild food menu, however Rabbit offers very little if any nutritional value to humans, indeed one would(and people have) starve to death trying to live on what Rabbit has to offer.

Maybe you should 'get real' (interesting language, do you watch lots of films aimed at American teenagers?) and take a position which can be practically and scientifically upheld. As we concluded in the similar topic on Perch eating, No one seems to be suggesting that you are wrong to refrain from eating what you catch, however you havn't provided a strong argument to support your condemnation of those of us who choose to.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree, Tigger, how many of the general public do you imagine are reading this thread? 1000's is being overly optimistic.

Secondly - migrants will do it anyway because it's normal to them. Education is the key there.

The fact that this borefest continues to rumble on is down to one person alone.

Edited by Rob Ward

The problem with promoting the eating of course fish(especially on the World web) is people who've never even considerd eating course fish will have a go just for the hell of it and they may well be in their thousands. Also any immigrants looking in will just go for it all the more if they see UK anglers promoting/condoning it. Ok if you eat the occasional fish so be it but don't spout about how good it is on the internet.

Tigger you don't have to worry about hoards of UK residents rushing out to catch kill and eat a fish, 99.9999% of the Uk population would not know how to gut, clean and prepare a fish, they are horrified at the prospect, (most households would not own a knife for the job either) if the fish does not come frozen, filleted, wrapped in batter or breadcrumbs they won't touch it. Which when you think about it is amazing for an Island Race.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Guest tigger
Tigger you don't have to worry about hoards of UK residents rushing out to catch kill and eat a fish, 99.9999% of the Uk population would not know how to gut, clean and prepare a fish, they are horrified at the prospect, (most households would not own a knife for the job either) if the fish does not come frozen, filleted, wrapped in batter or breadcrumbs they won't touch it. Which when you think about it is amazing for an Island Race.

bluerinse I'm not worried (or losing sleep) at all, I just cant see the point in promoting the practice eating of coarse fish. We all know the power of advertising has on Joe Public as millions is spent on tv advertising every year. And the world wide web is just another tool in the advertisers belt.

As for the fact that

99.9999% of the Uk population would not know how to gut, clean and prepare a fish
we all know what an excellent source the world wide web is for researching any subject that takes your interest; the answer is simply at your fingertips!

What gets me is how come no-one appears to be out working or even fishing today.

MC

It's a case of "rain stops play" :D

bluerinse I'm not worried (or losing sleep) at all, I just cant see the point in promoting the practice eating of coarse fish. We all know the power of advertising has on Joe Public as millions is spent on tv advertising every year. And the world wide web is just another tool in the advertisers belt.

As for the fact that we all know what an excellent source the world wide web is for researching any subject that takes your interest; the answer is simply at your fingertips!

It's a case of "rain stops play" :D

Work! Whats that?

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

What gets me is how come no-one appears to be out working or even fishing today.

MC

:lol:

Set lines have nothing whatsoever to do with fishing, it's illegal. Predictably enough, this is creeping towards the same old immigration nonsense. Don't talk about eating fish on the internet or else the foreigners will see it :o They're shifty you know, THEY WILL SEE IT. Then it'll be like Poland where there AREN'T ANY FISH LEFT. That's why they've all moved here. That and the free houses, cars and healthcare :rolleyes:

I know of several waters where owners have actively tried to eliminate all pike. It never works.

Arguments along the lines of, if everyone did it where would that leave us? are nonsensical. Not everyone does it, and they never will. If we all tried to park our cars at the same time we wouldn't be able to, that doesn't mean we shouldn't drive.

I need to go fishing soon!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Dont worry Anderoo Ive got it sussed! Ive just emailed Hugh F-W and he is going to make a River Cottage/Cook on the wild side episode where he hunts down and kills an Eastern European imigrant.He will show us how to clean and prepare one,stuff it with cormorant and cook it.

As everyone is so easily lead by what they watch for entertainment on TV our cormorant and Eastern European imigrant problems should be over within a month or so as surely neither are naturally sustainable?

My biggest worry is that we will have nothing better to discuss here on AN and might have to rerturn to answering newcomers requests for help or theorising as to why we cant catch big bream and Mr Capper can! maybe even the time honoured AN subject of sheep will return?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

baaaaa

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

MC

Ive tried work today and got very wet, so I'm just checking out the nicely simmering rabbit thats on offer this dinner time, then i will take it from there.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The river Wharfe near Arthington, had an encampment on it's banks. The residents used to threaten anglers, trap fish and cook them on fires by the river, there was even a report the the nets stolen from a local tennis court was used to aid the capture of the fish.

Was this last week? last year? No, the mid 70s! No Internet then. I wonder who put it into their minds that fish are edible???

After much debating (between Leeds and Bradford councils) about who was responsible for the problem, they were eventually moved on.

As it's been pointed out, this is nothing new, and the one's involved were acting illegally.

We are just trying to answer a question about what is LEGAL, not using hypothetical situations to try and lend some weight to the usual argument against the issue.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John