EATING PIKE

Houghton

I hope you are having some vegetables with it.

:-)

MC

I did think of dangling a carrot near it, but just makes more mess.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont worry Anderoo Ive got it sussed! Ive just emailed Hugh F-W and he is going to make a River Cottage/Cook on the wild side episode where he hunts down and kills an Eastern European imigrant.He will show us how to clean and prepare one,stuff it with cormorant and cook it.

LOL - post of the day that, if not the year!

Edited by Rob Ward

Guest tigger
I did think of dangling a carrot near it, but just makes more mess.

I've eaten that many Rabbits in the past I put myself right off them. My favourite way of eating them now is pre cooked,de boned and put in Lobbies/casserole with stue beef.

By the way There deffinatly will never be a shortage of bunnies.

Edited by tigger

Dont worry Anderoo Ive got it sussed! Ive just emailed Hugh F-W and he is going to make a River Cottage/Cook on the wild side episode where he hunts down and kills an Eastern European imigrant.He will show us how to clean and prepare one,stuff it with cormorant and cook it.

As everyone is so easily lead by what they watch for entertainment on TV our cormorant and Eastern European imigrant problems should be over within a month or so as surely neither are naturally sustainable?

My biggest worry is that we will have nothing better to discuss here on AN and might have to rerturn to answering newcomers requests for help or theorising as to why we cant catch big bream and Mr Capper can! maybe even the time honoured AN subject of sheep will return?

:lol: Great post! It's true, what would we talk about? Not undertow again...!

PS that meal should come with a side order of paeodophiles :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've eaten that many Rabbits in the past I put myself right off them. My favourite way of eating them now is pre cooked,de boned and put in Lobbies/casserole with stue beef.

By the way There deffinatly will never be a shortage of bunnies.

I've often thought about going out hunting for rabbits but, 1 - i'm not sure I could pull the trigger, 2 - i'd be afraid of killing a rabbit that has baby bunnies to look after that would starve to death if I ate their mother and 3 - there is a lot of desease in them. In fact that is a very important fact, if you are going to eat wild food i.e rabbits and coarse fish, they have not been reared under guidelines for eating...pigs used to have worms that live inside you but they don't anymore because they are monitored etc, you could eat pork raw now. You may get all sorts of worms, desease etc from coarse fish and wild food that isn't monitored.

7 pages in a little over 24 hours on the subject of eating the odd Pike. Thats some going.

I don't want to become emboiled or even sauteed in onions and garlic in the arguement thats simmering away other than to offer a take on the Big Pike fishing of the Norfolk Broads Thurne system.

I think I might of mentioned this before in an 'Eating Coarse Fish Thread' of a couple of weeks ago or maybe it was the one before that e.t.c

I saw that Chesters had mentioned the taking of fish during WW2 in the Norfolk Broads area during that period it was far more common to take fish than most people might realise.

Both sides of my family, right the way back come the villages surrounding the North Broads such as Horsey, Hickling and Martham. My Grandfathers job in the Summer months before he was old enough to be enlisted was to tend the Eel nets and fish for the pot along with many other people.

Pretty much every family in that area had someone who would fish for food on almost a daily basis. Pike were the number one target as a fish of 6 or 7lb's could easily feed a family of four, Perch and Eels were the next on the list.

That part of the Broads must of always contained large Pike due it being 2.500 acres of pristine wetland but there was a definite increase in the maximum size of the fish taken on rod and line into the 60's as the fish that had escaped the hooks and nets of wartime grew onto bumper sizes.

Then came the Pyrmnesium outbreak of 1967 that wiped out many of the the Pike in that area of the Broads. Again a good few smaller Pike must of survived and carrying their Broadland royalty grew on to produce the truly huge fish of the mid-eighties. Sadly due to a number of different factors they may just remain a memory one that I'm too young to have been involved in myself..

I've often thought about going out hunting for rabbits but, 1 - i'm not sure I could pull the trigger, 2 - i'd be afraid of killing a rabbit that has baby bunnies to look after that would starve to death if I ate their mother and 3 - there is a lot of desease in them. In fact that is a very important fact, if you are going to eat wild food i.e rabbits and coarse fish, they have not been reared under guidelines for eating...pigs used to have worms that live inside you but they don't anymore because they are monitored etc, you could eat pork raw now. You may get all sorts of worms, desease etc from coarse fish and wild food that isn't monitored.

Well! That just about sums it all up for me! :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've personally eaten and shot quite a number of Rabbits not far down the road from where you are now SPSwallow. If you're going to do it make sure you get a good gun theres not a lot more inhumane than shooting with something that won't make a clean kill. A good powerful airgun with a decent sight is ok for short range after that you'll want a 4:10 or a 12 bore.

Most farmers that shoot them for pest control will actively seek out the Rabbits carrying young to keep the numbers down.

Myxy is a paticulerly vile and cruel disease and I wouldn't eat a myxy rabbit although I've been told it'll do you no harm. Other than that all you have to look out for is speckled liver or kidney on the Rabbit which may show some kind of disease thats best steered clear of.

I rather run the risk of encountering the odd liver worm than eat cheap meat full of god knows what chemicals they've pumped into it..

You may get all sorts of worms, desease etc from coarse fish and wild food that isn't monitored.

I've just read the threadworms err... cod worms thread on the Sea Fishing forum and wished I hadn't... :yucky:

I think the suggestion that eating wild rabbits is more dangerous than eating farmed animals is one of the funniest things I've ever read. The only thing dangerous about rabbits is the fact that they live on fields that farmers have probably sprayed god knows what chemicals on. At least you know a rabbit has been eating grass, not the minced up corpses of its dead relatives!

I've just read the threadworms err... cod worms thread on the Sea Fishing forum and wished I hadn't... :yucky:

You definitely don't want to look up the same subject on YouTube then!

Now you know you will have to, won't you?