EATING PIKE

Houghton

I shoot and eat Rabbits, Pigeons, Pheasant, Partridge, Duck, Goose, Roe deer and Red deer.

I take and eat the occasional Trout, Salmon, Pike and Perch. I used to take eels but not at the moment.

I catch and enjoy eating Cod, Haddock and Mackerel from the sea.

I think that all of the above are sustainable, at least where I live.

I like to know where my food comes from.

I do not eat intensively reared and badly slaughtered farm animals and I only buy free range eggs and chicken from the farm.

I do not believe that intensive farming practice as currently carried on is sustainable and it should not be supported.

Almost all of my friends and acquaintances feel the same way.

Thankfully 99.9% of the folk in this country don't want to and wouldn't know how to, so that's OK then and if our Eastern European cousins come up here to try it the keepers will get them. :)

Hypocrisy and xenophobia in one post. Sadly par for the coarse (sic) around here.

Slagging off Eastern European migrants whilst advocating a nice recipe for perch or pike. You couldn't make it up...

Let's defend our coarse stocks... Its not OK to eat them whether you are from Walsall or Warsaw.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me why you think this TT?

Sustainability of stocks would be my first reason. Can we afford to regularly lose our biggest fish? Why not put them back for someone else to catch? I'd be miffed seeing someone taking something for the pot... the 2lb stripey that in a few years time might just be the fish of a lifetime...

Recent years has rightly seen a move towards looking after fish - fish mats (I confess I don't use one but might just by one after a 12lb 1oz barbel last week which deserved more than my paltry landing net), barbless hooks, the diminishing use of keep nets... need I go on.

And yet our media and internet forums are full of racist bile against Eastern European migrants because they eat coarse fish whilst at the same time angling aficionados on this forum promote recipes for them. Double standards methinks...

If it's bad for eastern europeans, then its bad for people elsewhere too...

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I need to point out, I did submit a recipe (Perch), however I havn't mentioned Eastern Europeans at all. I like to write honestly about what I know and do, and I dont think that I have ever encountered an Eastern European fishing in this country, so I'm not in a position to coment upon what they get up to, but then I don't go about asking other angler for their passport.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Can we afford to regularly lose our biggest fish? ....

.......fish mats (I confess I don't use one .....)

Double standards methinks...

'nuff said

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

.....and from the sea thread

Folklore has it that the cod fillets with worms had to have them removed with worm punches, which was time consuming and costly, it also left the fillets with unsightly holes in them.

So in the 1950's, Birds Eye opened a factory in Yarmouth, and the cod mainly from the north sea was processed into Fish Fingers.

These were and still are very popular with the public, and also with the processors who did not have to remove the worms because the process killed them and the composition of the Fingers hid the remains.

I prefer to catch and process my own, thank you. That way, worm infested fish finish up in the bean trench rather than adjacent to my chips.

That said, I have never found worms in any cod I have taken for the table - but that maybe because I operate a personal slot limit of 2 to 7 lbs. I would guess worm infestation is a feature of larger fish.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Sustainability of stocks would be my first reason. Can we afford to regularly lose our biggest fish?

Don't think anyone is saying take the biggest fish you can get your hands on. I like to take an odd salmon, if and when i do it will only be a fresh run grilse. The larger salmon don't eat well in my view, they tend to be a bit dry. I Don't think large old fish of any species will eat well.

Why not put them back for someone else to catch? I'd be miffed seeing someone taking something for the pot... the 2lb stripey that in a few years time might just be the fish of a lifetime...

Farming off fish stocks at a reasonable level will create space in the food chain and the potential for others to grow even bigger.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Guest Rabbit
I need to point out, I did submit a recipe (Perch), however I havn't mentioned Eastern Europeans at all. I like to write honestly about what I know and do, and I dont think that I have ever encountered an Eastern European fishing in this country, so I'm not in a position to coment upon what they get up to, but then I don't go about asking other angler for their passport.

Well let me assure you fish theft is a real issue and does affect a large part of the country. i don't care who are the culprits whether it's Eastern Europeans or the local Bible Reading Circle it is a problem, and my comment to you after you posted that recipe was that as a Angler it was ending out the wrong message, in that it was fine to take our coarse fish. You say that you have not encountered an EE fishing in this country..well they are pretty hard to miss, the spinning rods and sports hodalls are a dead give away. You say you are not in a position to comment? and yet you have said that comment is one thing you do do...all the way up to Parliament.

Can I suggest then you take a closer look at the problem of fish theft and use your influence to perhaps bring the matter to the attention of the great and the good?

Guest Rabbit

Farming off fish stocks at a reasonable level will create space in the food chain and the potential for others to grow even bigger.

Farming// LOL So you kill your breeding stock do you, no you don't , these larger fish have the right stuff to breed healthier perch, that's why they got so big ....Right?

Dont worry about man's culling either.... nature finds her own balance, man's intervention puts a spanner in the works.