EATING PIKE

Houghton

So I think we can now conclude that those so vehemently opposed to the legal taking and eating of the odd jackpike, the original subject of the thread, have completely run out of relevant arguments.
They never had any 'relevant' arguments, backed up by any kind of empirical evidence in the first place. I've read through the whole thread and it is like taking a magical sojourn through the Land of Logical Fallacies, nothing but Thin end of the Wedge arguments, Arguments from Ignorance, non-sequitors, Strawman and Ad Hominem attacks.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, this thread is like crack - I know I have to give it up but I just can't!

Question to those who think it's wrong to eat coarse fish - when I was growing up in Norfolk in the 70s/80s/90s, was it just as wrong that local, hardworking people who paid their taxes regularly fished for pike and eels to eat? Me included?

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger
We owe the very presence of Carp in these Isles to a centuries long enthusiasm for scoffing them. Perhaps considering the practice as so wrong is really the 'fad'?

I take it your talking about Monastries and great houses several hundred years ago......

These ponds were like the modern day fisheries, breeding and supplying fish for the table. Things have moved on since then, we no longer boil people in hot oil, we don't have knights in armour, we don't operate a feudal system or go to public hangings/burnings for recreational pleasure. Thankfully social taste has evolved since then.

I'm sick of explaining my reasons why I don't agree with promoting eating coarse fish if no one can see the effects of eating our sport they must have their heads buried in the sand.

those that think its wrong to eat freshwater fish so far are a tiny % to those that do or have or maybe in the future could do.

those that havn't and try probably wont try again (whatever the recipe) if its caught from a pond .

sea fish is eaten because it tastes better IMHO

as HUGE numbers of course fish HAVE been eaten in the not so distant past and they are still here says they wont be effected by a far tinier % eating them now and its polution and habitat destruction that will make the biggest decline in fish not the barbi

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm sick of explaining my reasons why I don't agree with promoting eating coarse fish if no one can see the effects of eating our sport they must have their heads buried in the sand.

I can envisage worse effects to our sport if we start proclaiming no-one should eat course fish.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

1. No one on here is promoting/advocating/encouraging or wanting to ever see either the eating of course fish to become a normal daily occurance amongst anglers.Neither the taking of specimen fish for the pot.

Simply that if some one wants to take a fish,providing it is done legally and responsibly then that is fine.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

THE END

Edited by bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I'm sick of hearing emotional drivel put forward as evidence. You and Rabbit can believe in what you want to believe, but if you want the rest

of us rational people to believe it too then you are going to provide evidence to support your belief.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

mind you there is a distinct mermaid shortage could it be more than irrational spiel :o

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

mind you there is a distinct mermaid shortage could it be more than irrational spiel :o
Tigger has some serious issues regarding sex, I remember him and Rabbit getting all 'holier-than-thou' when I posted this last year.