EATING PIKE

Houghton

i have just deleted a long response in favour of this...

Thank god.

i is apparent that those that fish for game fish do not have the same attitude to coarse fish as coarse anglers. That is an obvious fact as is the fact that salmon and trout do not return as well as coarse fish, so the killing of these is acceptable. thus the level of care with coarse fish would not be of the same standard as a non game angler. Why should it be, I have seen in on the Wye, salmon anglers and the owners of the beats do treat coarse fish with contempt, it's human nature, they would rather do battle with a fresh run salmon than an old barbel.

And yes they do kill barbel, but they also allow us coarse anglers on their hallowed waters, and for that I forgive them.

There is no evidence to support any of this!

As an all round angler i can honestly say the most disturbing fish welfare Ive come across has been on heavily fished coarse waters (over stocked and over fished). Of all the trout, salmon and coarse fish Ive caught (a good number), Ive never seen any evidence that trout and salmon don't return well. In fact i would go as far as to say they return better than summer pike. The tragedy's Ive heard and witnessed by anglers summer barbeling, in low oxygenated water, in times of drought says it all and they still carry on fishing for them.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have just deleted a long response in favour of this...i is apparent that those that fish for game fish do not have the same attitude to coarse fish as coarse anglers. That is an obvious fact as is the fact that salmon and trout do not return as well as coarse fish, so the killing of these is acceptable. thus the level of care with coarse fish would not be of the same standard as a non game angler. Why should it be, I have seen in on the Wye, salmon anglers and the owners of the beats do treat coarse fish with contempt, it's human nature, they would rather do battle with a fresh run salmon than an old barbel.

And yes they do kill barbel, but they also allow us coarse anglers on their hallowed waters, and for that I forgive them.

Thank god.

There is no evidence to support any of this!

Some evidence would be appreciated. Would help your by now flagging street cred a lot Rabbit. Things that appear to be obviously factual to you seem to be highly conjectural to the rest of us, who remain to be convinced. A nice big slice of empirical evidence would sure help swing me round to your way of thinking. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

just had a run in with an angler ,saw him heading for the bog and when i reached his peg noticed his rod lying on the ground with the float in the water.

i got the chaps in the next swims number and this angler ambled back.

i told him not to leave his tackle unattended in the water "i was only gone a minute", "it was five i said not one" , "it doesnt matter does it" he muttered i told him in no uncertain terms i could have taken his permit off him just for that not to mention no unhooking mat or landing net :angry:

it takes just a second for a fish to take that bait ,it could easily swallow it or hook itself and drag the rod in :angry: .

on the way back he was most apologetic hopefully its a lesson learnt.

perhaps i was to soft the head bailiff wouldnt have hesitated but chesters1 in real life prefers a lighter touch ,its pointless punishing for a first offence but i'm not so laid back should it happen again ,i have his number in my little book ;)

he had actually been fishing in the adjoining swim with his mate and had popped into the next one to see where the fish were leaving his other gear behind :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I will sit a while and give others the opportunity to respond to this patent nonsense, difficult as it is to argue with someone carries on unencumbered by evidence, scientific fact or other's experience based opinion.

In some cases and with some people, it is not so much 'difficult' as completely impossible. They can, for instance

- ignore points they dislike

- misquote earlier remarks to suit their position

- invent authorities or facts to support their position

- morph their position as needed if one becomes impossible even for them to maintain

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Speaking, as I was earlier, of iffy fish handling on TV can I mention one bloke that particularly hacks me off. Dare I say Bob James in A passion for Angling, one of the most respected anglers in one of the most respected TV shows.

Remember that fantastic bag of 3lb plus roach, any one of which would be the fish of a life time for most anglers. In a keep net all day before being tipped out onto the bank so that they could be displayed to the camera, photographed and weighed. Did someone say that fish welfare was paramount.

Lets not mention the episode on the Spey when he sent his retriever in after a trout. After two or three snaps at it the dog got a good grip and bought the fish to hand. Now I wouldn't have had a problem if he had then smartly dispatched it and taken it home for tea, but no, he released it.

I believe that he comes from somewhere down South where apparently they respect their fish more than we do. ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest Rabbit
In some cases and with some people, it is not so much 'difficult' as completely impossible. They can, for instance

- ignore points they dislike

- misquote earlier remarks to suit their position

- invent authorities or facts to support their position

- morph their position as needed if one becomes impossible even for them to maintain

So is that all you want to add to the thread Newt?

Catch and Release you boys heard of it :D

Guest Rabbit
Speaking, as I was earlier, of iffy fish handling on TV can I mention one bloke that particularly hacks me off. Dare I say Bob James in A passion for Angling, one of the most respected anglers in one of the most respected TV shows.

Remember that fantastic bag of 3lb plus roach, any one of which would be the fish of a life time for most anglers. In a keep net all day before being tipped out onto the bank so that they could be displayed to the camera, photographed and weighed. Did someone say that fish welfare was paramount.

Lets not mention the episode on the Spey when he sent his retriever in after a trout. After two or three snaps at it the dog got a good grip and bought the fish to hand. Now I wouldn't have had a problem if he had then smartly dispatched it and taken it home for tea, but no, he released it.

I believe that he comes from somewhere down South where apparently they respect their fish more than we do. ;)

Yes I remember and I think you are struggling to make a point, the fact that the roach was the catch of a lifetime whilst filming for a series was pretty remarkable, to lose that would have been pointless, besides I have seen that several times and i can see no problem at all with the handling of the roach. The welfare of the fish would have been paramount to all the cast, the fact that Hugh Miles is a dedicated roach fisher would have ensured that. To daub such a series as Passion as an example of poor fish handling is desperate, you also cite Raps retrieving the trout as cruel, well maybe different but considering retrievers have very soft mouths I doubt if any real harm came to the trout, I will ask Hugh when I next see him if you like :rolleyes:

The point I was illustrating which somehow seems to have upset you, hence the Crimes of Passion ha!.... (get it) was that North of the Border, game fishing is more popular than coarse, and the switch over to coarse fishing is not without it's problems regarding education. You perfectly illustrated that by losing a wonderful hand made Avon rod to a fish...I rest my case.

Any clues as to who the cap belongs to Newt? or maybe its just better to just keep our thoughts to ourselves in this instance

Bring it on Brian..meat and drink :D