EATING PIKE

Houghton

Guest Rabbit
Rainbow trout are as hard as nails, a lot of pike anglers can vouch for that, but we better not go into details :rolleyes:

Rainbow trout hard as nails, but the Angler is too soft to talk about his methods. :o

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I remember and I think you are struggling to make a point, the fact that the roach was the catch of a lifetime whilst filming for a series was pretty remarkable, to lose that would have been pointless, besides I have seen that several times and i can see no problem at all with the handling of the roach. The welfare of the fish would have been paramount to all the cast, the fact that Hugh Miles is a dedicated roach fisher would have ensured that. To daub such a series as Passion as an example of poor fish handling is desperate, you also cite Raps retrieving the trout as cruel, well maybe different but considering retrievers have very soft mouths I doubt if any real harm came to the trout, I will ask Hugh when I next see him if you like :rolleyes:

The point I was illustrating which somehow seems to have upset you, hence the Crimes of Passion ha!.... (get it) was that North of the Border, game fishing is more popular than coarse, and the switch over to coarse fishing is not without it's problems regarding education. You perfectly illustrated that by losing a wonderful hand made Avon rod to a fish...I rest my case.

Bring it on Brian..meat and drink :D

So it was justified for the sake of the film? Fish welfare "paramount" I think not.

The fact that you could see nothing wrong in the handling of the fish doesn't exactly strengthen your case :D

As for Raps retrieving the trout I didn't cite it as cruel. What was cruel was returning the fish afterward. You think that no harm would come to it because the dog has a "soft mouth" so you think that that was also acceptable for the sake of the film?

And you say that I am desperate.

Regarding the loss of my rod and my lack of education:

The rod was in a feeder type rod rest

The butt was in a stainless butt rest which (I thought) held it securely.

I was seated with the rod about 8" from my right hand, not wandering about leaving the rod unattended.

I was reaching to my left to get some groundbait when the rod bounced once and disappeared.

Short of teaching me to tie the rod to myself with string I am not sure how education could have prevented that one.so maybe you shouldn't feel too smug about your rested case.

On the subject of fish welfare I have been reading up on the subject of returning summer Barbel in low oxygenated water. Now I have never done it and I know nothing about it but taking my cue from you I am not about to let that stand in the way of pontificating on the subject. I suspect that you fish for Barbel in the summer and I think that it is outrageous that all the barbel you catch will die when you return them. Don't you think that you should stop - for the sake of the poor little fishes welfare :rolleyes:

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Has anyone else worked in pubs or clubs? There comes a time when if people can't settle their argument like gentlemen then they will be asked to take it outside.

Surely this argument can be asked to step outside as it is disturbing other customers.

Anyone else want this topic once and for all to leave us in peace?

Rich

Bring it on Brian..meat and drink :

I don't remember mentioning any names so its a bit of a surprise to see someone claiming the cap , shame you don't play football as you might have 300 or so by now

I have to admit though to liking food ( I eat nothing else) , meat and drink being a favourite of mine but I do prefer them to be consistent and not flip flopping all over the plate

Some mention has been made of livebaiting and I must admit this is one of my favourite methods of catching pike ( most pike anglers are great roach fishermen), live trout being about the most hardiest of fish for this purpose and should they be returned to the water do swim away without any apparent discomfort or distress so a lip hooked trout is far easier to release to the water , and I've released hundreds of them over the years non of which have gone belly up unlike some coarse fish which seem to peg out with shock

A float fished trout livebait will stay alive all day if not taken by a pike whereas a coarse fish fisshed in the same way will go belly up within a couple of hours

Has anyone else worked in pubs or clubs? There comes a time when if people can't settle their argument like gentlemen then they will be asked to take it outside.

Surely this argument can be asked to step outside as it is disturbing other customers.

Rich

Sorry Rich, but I find it fascinating, and an insight into how some minds work (or not).

The only thing that annoys me is when anglers condemn other anglers for the way they fish, even if it is within the rules.

The difference between this and an argument in a pub, is that you can't escape in a pub, whereas you don't have to read this thread if it upsets you.

I have a feeling though, that a wooden spoon would be better than a rod when fishing in this particular water. :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Rabbit
So it was justified for the sake of the film? Fish welfare "paramount" I think not.

The fact that you could see nothing wrong in the handling of the fish doesn't exactly strengthen your case :D

As for Raps retrieving the trout I didn't cite it as cruel. What was cruel was returning the fish afterward. You think that no harm would come to it because the dog has a "soft mouth" so you think that that was also acceptable for the sake of the film?

And you say that I am desperate.

Regarding the loss of my rod and my lack of education:

The rod was in a feeder type rod rest

The butt was in a stainless butt rest which (I thought) held it securely.

I was seated with the rod about 8" from my right hand, not wandering about leaving the rod unattended.

I was reaching to my left to get some groundbait when the rod bounced once and disappeared.

Short of teaching me to tie the rod to myself with string I am not sure how education could have prevented that one.so maybe you shouldn't feel too smug about your rested case.

On the subject of fish welfare I have been reading up on the subject of returning summer Barbel in low oxygenated water. Now I have never done it and I know nothing about it but taking my cue from you I am not about to let that stand in the way of pontificating on the subject. I suspect that you fish for Barbel in the summer and I think that it is outrageous that all the barbel you catch will die when you return them. Don't you think that you should stop - for the sake of the poor little fishes welfare :rolleyes:

Sorry about my comment regarding your lost rod it was a cheap trick...especially the informative blow by blow account posted on the building of it, it was a generous thing to do. Top tip though always set you bait runner or clutch when the target species is large, or always hold the rod.

Thank you for taking the time to bone up on coarse fish, your observation on returning summer barbel valid, the only recent weather conditions that resulted in a voluntary cessation of barbel fishing was in 2006 when the oxygen levels were very low. Salmon and trout experience the same problems due to their dependency on higher levels of oxygen, for example carp do not and you could keep a carp in a wet sack out of the water for several hours and it will survive.

i will forgive you for the last sentence, i deserved it after the lost rod reminder...still you are on the right track, keep swatting up we will make a coarse angler out of you yet.

Guest Rabbit
I don't remember mentioning any names so its a bit of a surprise to see someone claiming the cap , shame you don't play football as you might have 300 or so by now

I have to admit though to liking food ( I eat nothing else) , meat and drink being a favourite of mine but I do prefer them to be consistent and not flip flopping all over the plate

Some mention has been made of livebaiting and I must admit this is one of my favourite methods of catching pike ( most pike anglers are great roach fishermen), live trout being about the most hardiest of fish for this purpose and should they be returned to the water do swim away without any apparent discomfort or distress so a lip hooked trout is far easier to release to the water , and I've released hundreds of them over the years non of which have gone belly up unlike some coarse fish which seem to peg out with shock

A float fished trout livebait will stay alive all day if not taken by a pike whereas a coarse fish fisshed in the same way will go belly up within a couple of hours

Right I must be paranoid then :rolleyes: At least you posted something, always keen to learn new things, not that I would want to fish that way, but whatever rocks your boat.

Guest Rabbit

Rich

Its a bit of a laugh surely you can see that can't you?? What do you suppose I do drive all the way up to Loch Lomond and offer Sportsman to come outside,

So sensitive some on here :rolleyes:

You hide it well!

Still waiting mate :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

The difference between this and an argument in a pub, is that you can't escape in a pub, whereas you don't have to read this thread if it upsets you.

Thats the problem, I try to avoid it but its like a car crash I just can't look away even though it sickens me.

My point is this topic now has little or no value, its just an arguement and mudslinging contest. You may find it interesting but not for any piscatorial reasons, this forum is no longer the place for this nonsense.

If I were a new poster and I saw this I'd worry about posting anything for fear of being attacked. I've got no problems people eloquently discussing their points of view but too often its just head in the sand and slag off all and sundry. I don't care how strongly people may feel about things, acting like this is inexcusable, manners cost nothing.

Maybe the forum has changed and moved on, I hope not because I liked it the way it used to be.

I'd ask once again please could this topic be closed or moved (to a new pointless circular arguement forum) or alternatively could the main protagonists swap emails or something and argue in private?

Rich