EATING PIKE

Houghton

titter (whoops it contains tit :o ) some people just like biting ,still its nice to see tigger and fluffy on the same side for once ,just need mr M and it would be a good hand :D

when i say hand its cards not "job" you understand ;)

before others pop up with a cory / chesters "ganging up" reply be assured we will both disagree with each other in some other topic :lol:

wouldnt it be boring if every post was clapping each other on the back saying how they agree with each other ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sea fish is eaten because it tastes better IMHO

Absolutely! And, since nowhere in this country is more than a hundred miles from the sea, as soon as proper roads and the railways were invented, those who had previously had no choice but to pick the bones out of pike, roach and perch, took to eating cod, haddock and herring. It wasn't because eating pike, roach and perch was decreed sinful by those in society with more moral backbone. It was just because sea fish taste better. I'll repeat that since some people can't see that this is the most important point: SEA FISH TASTE BETTER.

Of course, in those days, sea fish were also very plentiful and cheap!

since some people can't see that this is the most important point: SEA FISH TASTE BETTER.

Agreed, in most cases they do, although simply cooked Perch is far better than lots of saltwater species which end up offered for sale on the slab. Like lots of areas of life it comes down to taste, and thankfully humans are complex enough to demonstrate a wide range of it. As chesters indicates, 'back clapping conformity would be so boring'.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Guest Rabbit
Tigger has some serious issues regarding sex, I remember him and Rabbit getting all 'holier-than-thou' when I posted this last year.

No issues at all John and it wasn't only me and Tigger who thought your headline a tad strange, even if as you say you don't live with your daughter.

Edited by Rabbit

No issues at all John and it wasn't only me and Tigger who thought your headline a tad strange, even if as you say you don't live with your daughter.

Actually I thought Tigger was a bit OTT yesterday evening and I said as much, perhaps he was right and you morphing into a troll, still no excuse for bad taste in headlines and then to repeat it some time later is odd, very odd.

I hope the "John" your talking about isn't me Neil.

The post your quoting is Corys, nothing to do with me.

And I resent the "troll" comments, I thought you knew better than that.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Rabbit
Absolutely! And, since nowhere in this country is more than a hundred miles from the sea, as soon as proper roads and the railways were invented, those who had previously had no choice but to pick the bones out of pike, roach and perch, took to eating cod, haddock and herring. It wasn't because eating pike, roach and perch was decreed sinful by those in society with more moral backbone. It was just because sea fish taste better. I'll repeat that since some people can't see that this is the most important point: SEA FISH TASTE BETTER.

Of course, in those days, sea fish were also very plentiful and cheap!

Actually that is wrong, sea food was disgusting before re-fridgeration, the salt treatment ruined the taste and folk actually preferred coarse fish. this was on the TV series the Compleat Angler or was it Complete? Anyway there you go , now you know :D

I can envisage worse effects to our sport if we start proclaiming no-one should eat course fish.

Spelling coarse correctly would add some weight to your argument. :thumbs:

Actually that is wrong, sea food was disgusting before re-fridgeration, the salt treatment ruined the taste and folk actually preferred coarse fish.

Not quite true, most fish benefits from salting, I bought some pollack earlier today and salted it for a couple of hours before cooking it, the salting improves the taste and texture no end :)

Edited by jeepster

not all sea fish was salted ,smoking and air drying was also used ,no doupt fresh water fish also had the same treatment if transported any distance

note it says fish and rivers ;)

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq3.html

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest tigger

This threads gettin a bit borin now, can't someone open another thread with something else we can all argue about ?

the decline in mermaids?

strangely oysters were a common food of the poor but i havnt found a reference to swan mussels or river mussels as a staple diet yet ,swan mussels would be an easy crop surely perhaps they taste muddy :whistling:

Edited by chesters1