EATING PIKE

Houghton

Not entirely fair TT as not all of us try and turn every thread into a anti Eastern European issue.

Also I personaly dont care who takes a fish as long as its done correctly.As Im sure neither do many others. That said being of a different nationality doesnt excuse rule breaking.I have to stick to local rules when I fish abroad and more so ensure I am aware and understand them.

No double standards from a lot on here.In fact the only ones Ive read here knocking the taking of fish have also done so across the board so whether their point is right or wrong at least its consistant!

Its a great shame though when every thread on here decends to the same subject though.

You are undoubtedly an honorable angler and I always appreciate your intelligent posts.

I certainly don't think that everyone on this forum is anti-European.

I do think though that there are double standards within UK angling - just read the angling press on the horrors of anybody east of Lowestoft in relation to barbecued coarse fish. Meanwhile, here on Anglers Net, we exchange recipes...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant deny that there are double standards in angling,no matter what branch you look in to.I have always found that on here those that are exhibiting such can often be influenced by sensible debate.Sadly there will always be the others that cant.

Ive had my veiws on different things changed a few times over the years by reading the excellent logic of others who contribute here.I would like to think its made my out look a lot more rounded.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Its a great shame though when every thread on here decends to the same subject though.

Not to mention boring and pointless. What is up with AN at the mo? Where did all the interesting topics go, if everyone wants an argument can't we just start a 'pointless arguement' or 'I refuse to listen or change my opinion' or 'so and so is a big stink face' forum so the rest of us can get on with more fruitful topics?

Rich

P.s. I think this topic could/should be moved to conservation

Think its about run its course anyway Rich.

Would be kind of interesting to see if any of it has changed the origonal posters veiws though........but I should imagine he stopped reading it and sadly possibly AN a long while back.You still out there Houghton?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Not to mention boring and pointless. What is up with AN at the mo? Where did all the interesting topics go, if everyone wants an argument can't we just start a 'pointless arguement' or 'I refuse to listen or change my opinion' or 'so and so is a big stink face' forum so the rest of us can get on with more fruitful topics?

Rich

P.s. I think this topic could/should be moved to conservation

Post an interesting question then methinks... And let those who want to discuss, what is clearly an emotive issue, the chance to discuss it... Emma and Vagabond may hate what i say and vice versa but I hope we all respect each other's right to debate. And learn. Something I have from other's views here... Not all though!

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Its OK for Emma or Vagabond to take fish. God forbid if you post the same message here under the name Emmski or Vagabondislawa though...
It's OK for anyone to take a fish, providing they have an EA Rod licence and permission from the holder of the riparian rights.

I have not taken a fish for the pot in donkeys years, whether it be sea, course or game, but catch and release is not my religion. If I decide I'm going to kill and eat the odd 2lb bass that takes my bread when I'm out after mullet then I will. The same goes if it were a jack pike, although as I have already stated in an earlier post I prefer perch.

What a lot of anglers fail to understand is that a considerable amount of the non-angling public think that catch and release angling is unnecessary or cruel.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Guest Rabbit
What a lot of anglers fail to understand is that a considerable amount of the non-angling public think that catch and release angling is unnecessary or cruel.

Really? i think not, don't know where you get you data from , but I bet the non angling public would be pretty alarmed if we were to be seen to be clubbing to death a 30 lb carp,or a 10lb barbel. Even barbel can be re-caught in the same session which rather suggests they do not suffer too much trauma from being caught and returned. i think there might be an argument for not returning trout and salmon but not coarse fish.

Really? i think not, don't know where you get you data from , but I bet the non angling public would be pretty alarmed if we were to be seen to be clubbing to death a 30 lb carp,or a 10lb barbel. Even barbel can be re-caught in the same session which rather suggests they do not suffer too much trauma from being caught and returned. i think there might be an argument for not returning trout and salmon but not coarse fish.

There you go again Neil, nobody other than you has mentioned "clubbing to death 30lb carp" or "10lb barbel". The only people who have mentioned the taking of 'specimen fish", are the ones who are against the taking of any fish. The mention of "2lb stripies" and "stuffing their face with coarse fish", again are in the imagination of those against the taking of fish.

We have put forward the circumstances in which we believe that it should be allowed, but we might have well written it in invisible ink for all the notice taken of it.

All the arguments I have seen against taking, fish as been with exaggerated situations added, or the mention of Eastern Europeans. Neither of which have been condoned or suggested by any of us that think that the right to take fish is fundamental to the future of angling.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for a reply to my post 161, am I going to get one? :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

i think there might be an argument for not returning trout and salmon but not coarse fish.

What is it? Please submit a rational one, avoiding your inclination to decide which creatures should live or die, and unscientific ideas like 'well thats just how it is'.

You say lots about what, according to you 'most anglers' say and do, and what 'the non-angling public' might think. However responses here have not supported that, is there any proper research you can propose provide evidence on what wider society's opinions are on how anglers should conduct themselves. if there is such research details of the methodology would be interesting.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

it wasnt that long ago "specimen" fish were stuffed and mounted and they still have a huge price on old ones ,did all the specimens die out ,ofcourse not even walker put his in a tank so no-one could catch it again ;)

i cannot see those that angle on the darker side have any more luck than those that do it legally ,i'm still waiting on a 30lb carp i cannot see lex or ury having more luck whilst keeping an eye out for the bailiff!!!

if the biggest fish goes theres always the next one down to eat its food and be top dog ,whether you eat it ,stuff it or throw it up the bank makes not a jot in natures way of things it ensures another is soon back again

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson