EATING PIKE

Houghton

Most of the very large fish are by definition also very old so they are:

Probably well past their spawning prime

Less able to withstand repeated hooking and landing

It would seem therefore that your only logic for returning them to be caught again is to hasten their eventual demise by tormenting them repeatedly until they die.

Maybe there is a good argument for taking the small and very large fish and leaving the prime spawning stock.

BTW, what is the srgument for killing trout and Salmon, is it because you don't fish for them?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rabbit
What is it? Please submit a rational one, avoiding your inclination to decide which creatures should live or die, and unscientific ideas like 'well thats just how it is'.

You say lots about what, according to you 'most anglers' say and do, and what 'the non-angling public' might think. However responses here have not supported that, is there any proper research you can propose provide evidence on what wider society's opinions are on how anglers should conduct themselves. if there is such research details of the methodology would be interesting.

I did not submit that what ''most anglers fail to understand is that the public think catch and release is cruel'' you say that my views are not supported on here...well surprise surprise as I have said before the angling world outside of AN would find it a strange that Anglers would support the very thing they seek to protect. Catch and Release is the message that Angling is voicing I am afraid you and a few others on here are bucking the trend.

Trout and Salmon do not return well, but I am sure you knew what I was alluding to by making that statement.

Guest Rabbit
BTW, what is the srgument for killing trout and Salmon, is it because you don't fish for them?

My response to Emma was that they do not always survive after capture, besides that they are a 'game' fish and are accepted as an eating fish. However with the decline in salmon in our rivers 'catch and release' is very much the message.

Guest Rabbit
it wasnt that long ago "specimen" fish were stuffed and mounted and they still have a huge price on old ones ,did all the specimens die out ,ofcourse not even walker put his in a tank so no-one could catch it again ;)

i cannot see those that angle on the darker side have any more luck than those that do it legally ,i'm still waiting on a 30lb carp i cannot see lex or ury having more luck whilst keeping an eye out for the bailiff!!!

if the biggest fish goes theres always the next one down to eat its food and be top dog ,whether you eat it ,stuff it or throw it up the bank makes not a jot in natures way of things it ensures another is soon back again

Hardly, I suspect the owner of the commercial ot syndicate would be dismayed in seeing his star attraction be thrown up the bank with a shrug of the shoulders with the comment ''another will soon be back''.

Gone are the days of mounting fish, it went about the same time as folk decided not to eat them also..well apart from some on here :D

Oh, and I'm still waiting for a reply to my post 161, am I going to get one? :rolleyes:

John.

No :D :D :D

Hardly, I suspect the owner of the commercial ot syndicate would be dismayed in seeing his star attraction be thrown up the bank with a shrug of the shoulders with the comment ''another will soon be back''.

Gone are the days of mounting fish, it went about the same time as folk decided not to eat them also..well apart from some on here :D

No :D:D:D

maybe not the specimens today (as i said it was "not so long ago") but plenty of "nuisence" fish are ,some of these "nuisense" fish are though specimins but ofcourse in the eyes of the chucker worthless ,and as i mentioned far earlier today are very costly to replace so just as cleverly chucked /eaten out of the sight of owners eyes ;)

i'm sure though fish eaters dont frequent commercials so the owner wouldnt know what was said when his fish disapear :rolleyes:

those acting illegally certainly wont frequent well populated commercial but prefer out of the way places to ploy their arts.

the reason their not eaten is alternatives are about not because it suddenly became unfashionable or morals changed but with the increasing price of food perhaps it may return not because we want to eat them perhaps we will have to , i certainly wouldn't hesitate despite its awful taste if i had to whatever the rules were but there is a vast difference in eating them because you want to and eating them because you have to especially in pond fish and as river fish are owner less and self restocking less harm is done to anyone within bounds ofcourse

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

if coarse anglers ever lost their right to eat their catch(if they chose to,and it was legal on that particular water),

that would be the start of the end of coarse fishing as we know it.

If any form of coarse fishing was to be banned,it would be "catch and release".

Green parties are on the increase,and will hold the balance of power in some areas.

When they held the balance of power in germany,it was "catch and release" that was unacceptable,and that was banned.

Same green parties in the U.K.........................

I

Trout and Salmon do not return well, but I am sure you knew what I was alluding to by making that statement.

On the contrary, trout and salmon return and survive very well, but that may be because they are returned very well. If I handled trout the way that I see coarse fish handled prior to release I would be banned from any trout fishery I know.

I am convinced that more coarse fish die because of poor handling and the "need" to get one more photo than ever get killed to eat.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest Rabbit
On the contrary, trout and salmon return and survive very well, but that may be because they are returned very well. If I handled trout the way that I see coarse fish handled prior to release I would be banned from any trout fishery I know.

I am convinced that more coarse fish die because of poor handling and the "need" to get one more photo than ever get killed to eat.

No not true, handling of fish has never been better, I find it strange that you should question what I say regarding releasing game fish, undeniably more game fish are lost in this way. feel free to debate anything with me Sportsman but please can we not ignore facts ?

if coarse anglers ever lost their right to eat their catch(if they chose to,and it was legal on that particular water),

that would be the start of the end of coarse fishing as we know it.

What?? sorry I don't understand that t all :rolleyes:

What?? sorry I don't understand that t all :rolleyes:

read the rest of the post.

If you get the situation,where a green party holds the balance of power,they can,will,and have banned fishing "catch and release".

As that was seen to be putting fish through stress,etc....with no reason other than the anglers amusement.

fishing is now "for the pot"or not at all.

actually,the german anglers,they return fish,slyly,or say they are too small,but they are legally lawbreakers.

and,as i said you have the same green parties in the uk,just waiting.

if you have the right to take one for the pot,you can still return all you catch,giving the same reasons(too small etc etc)

Guest Rabbit
read the rest of the post.

If you get the situation,where a green party holds the balance of power,they can,will,and have banned fishing "catch and release".

As that was seen to be putting fish through stress,etc....with no reason other than the anglers amusement.

fishing is now "for the pot"or not at all.

actually,the german anglers,they return fish,slyly,or say they are too small,but they are legally lawbreakers.

and,as i said you have the same green parties in the uk,just waiting.

if you have the right to take one for the pot,you can still return all you catch,giving the same reasons(too small etc etc)

Well we would have to have the same mentality of the Germans for that to happen, and happily I can say that we are indeed poles apart in that respect.

i can not imagine the Green Party ever having the sway over our political scene, if that was ever to be the case I would happily pack my bags and live in Spain, desperate measures indeed :D