New garden pond

Steve Burke

I've decided to keep it just as a wildlife pond, at least for the time being. After all I've got 2 huge fishponds at Wingham! And lots of fish will mean less other wildlife.

Lots of good advice here, so thanks again everyone. Any further thoughts would be most welcome.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Maybe a few sticklebacks to keep the mossies from breeding in it? A good bucketful of Wingham weed and sediment should get you started with the species which can't make their own way there - the insect larvae will of course get there on their own!

You Satan you, Steve! No, I'm going to remain resolute. But for how long I don't know!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Go on, a few little sticklebacks couldn't hurt - and if they start breeding too much, maybe a little perch or two, then a pike to keep the perch down, some rudd to keep the pike fed... ;)

I'm pretty sure that my Ladybird Book of Pondlife had sticklebacks in it, which means that no wildlife pond is complete without them, whatever the frog botherers say! Besides, you can let the grandkids pond-dip in it, or let them fish with a matchstick float and a worm tied to the line :)

Don't bring the grandkids into it, Steve!

Our eldest grand-daughter, aged 6, came to see us a few weeks ago. We had the first day at a wildlife sanctuary. The second we went rockpooling, followed by dipping in the stream at Wingham.

When she got back to London she said, "It's good to back home - not! There's no wildlife here!"

• Like 1