Really odd weather for October

Newt

We are expecting lots of rain and wind from TS Karen on Monday but today through most of Sunday are warm, sunny, and pleasant. This isn't the case in many parts of the country though. Crazy stuff.

Quoted from wunderground.com and Dr. Jeff Masters weather blog.

Most significant fire weather threat across Southern California in past 5 years as strong Santa Ana wind event unfolds. In addition to the strength of winds being projected...the concerns with this event include the widespread nature and long duration of Santa Ana winds...very long period of single digit humidities...and extremely dry fuels approaching record levels. Red flag warnings are in effect for much of Los Angeles and Ventura counties overnight into Sunday. The onset of the offshore winds are expected to begin across the mountains by late evening...then descend into the lower elevations overnight. The peak of this Santa Ana wind event will likely be late tonight through Saturday morning...with the strongest winds focused across Los Angeles and Ventura counties.

A blizzard and a severe weather outbreak in the Midwest The same low pressure system that is expected to turn Tropical Storm Karen to the northeast this weekend is hammering the Midwest with a variety of extreme weather today. Blizzard conditions enveloped much of Wyoming today, with up to 2' of snow falling at several mountain locations. In Rapid City, South Dakota, where more than a foot of snow is expected, the Police Department has issued a no travel advisory. A significant outbreak of severe thunderstorms with very large hail and a few tornadoes--possibly strong EF2 and EF3s--is expected over much of Iowa early this evening. Wunderground weather historian Christopher C. Burt has done some research to see the last time a blizzard, major severe weather outbreak, tropical storm, and extreme fire danger all threatened the U.S. at the same time, and has not been able to find such an event in past history

• Like 1
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Had a mini Tornado here t'other day I thankfully missed it. BUT notmy last lot of ruddy toms and my sapling fruit trees though

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Beautiful morning here today, just back from a walk beside the Solent, very little wind, (F1 from the West) and pleasantly warm sunshine, 18°C outside.

Beautiful morning here today, just back from a walk beside the Solent, very little wind, (F1 from the West) and pleasantly warm sunshine, 18°C outside.

Make the most of it, cold hits us mid-week :(

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

We had a walk in similar weather on the fringe of the Ashdown Forest.

Despite the weather, winter has started - the fieldfares are in from Scandinavia - saw a flock of a dozen.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

We had a walk in similar weather on the fringe of the Ashdown Forest.

Despite the weather, winter has started - the fieldfares are in from Scandinavia - saw a flock of a dozen.

Long-billed Dowitcher for me this morning - it's been around on and off for a few weeks now, was still in summer plumage when it first arrived.

Unsuccessful Shrike hunt this afternoon (slightly early still), looking forward to the first Fieldfares and Redwings.