Norfolkdipper

Been out today, had a great day on a new water to me. But it was spoilt by 3 boats (motor cruisers), who snagged my line, each running out over 100m of line begore I could cit them. I lost a rodrest & a buzz bar due to the last one. Who's pilot claims ' it is MY fault she caught my line' Swearing as she said ' I should move them out of her way'. Out of her way, it ( a near the egde, deadbait line) was there at least 1/2 hour before she came along. The river at the time was clear of other boats.

Rods are static on the bank, as is a moored boat. If the moored boat is hit, is it their fault or the boat under power who is at fault? If I was at fault, then surely the moored boat would be as well. Why should I have to disturb my rods, when the boat has the width of the river to use to aviod them?

What makes it worse, is that none of the 3 boats apologised....

Mark

ps

Great day had at St. Bennet's Abbey, on the river Bure in Norfolk.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

A quick internet search indicates that the speed limit for boats on the River Bure is 4mph. At that speed, it would take fractionally less yhan 60 seconds to travel 100m.

If you're fishing a deadbait rod and can't respond to a run (be it a fish or a boat) in less than 60 seconds......

I should dig out your tin hat if I were you.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It's not something I've experienced myself (fishing with moving boats nearby) but I think in the circumstances I'd be looking to keep myself from any problems - just like I do in any other situation; I never rely on other people to do what's best for me.

Looking at maps and stuff on the net there appears to be plenty of bends and bankside vegetation in the area - how well could they see you?

At least you had a good day overall. :)

It's very common on the Thames in the warmer months. I take the view that the boats have right of way and I shouldn't assume they know where my lines are going (or even see me at all). So I either reel in and let them pass, or dunk the tip down deep to allow them to pass over.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I always adopt the humble pie option in this situation, boats are a fact of life and there'll only be one winner in the event of a coming together. Some pilots are considerate, some aren't and some just make a mistake so I generally assume the worst and wind in. It can be irritating when you've just cast your bait to the perfect spot but they don't seem to affect the fishing much.

When I've been out on Steve's narrowboat it's not always easy to see anglers....and that's with me sitting on the front.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Norfolk,

Of course it the boats fault. You can only take heart in the following from an Alabama boat motor grave yard. """"A stray piece of line snags the gap between the propeller and gearcase. It works deeper into the crevice, then begins coiling randomly around the shaft inside. A few thousand rpm later and the line is a tangled mess. Water and exhaust pressure force this intruder into contact with the lip seal. The subsequent abrasion destroys the seal, resulting in a total loss of lubricant. The gears and bearings inside grind themselves to smithereens."""""""""""

ONE IN SEVEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The were lamenting braid is worse - were you using braid?. On the down side since it is in the US I'd offer a guess that most of the damage was done by 20 lb line or larger.

You can always hope.

Phone

Been out today, had a great day on a new water to me. But it was spoilt by 3 boats (motor cruisers), who snagged my line, each running out over 100m of line begore I could cit them. I lost a rodrest & a buzz bar due to the last one. Who's pilot claims ' it is MY fault she caught my line' Swearing as she said ' I should move them out of her way'. Out of her way, it ( a near the egde, deadbait line) was there at least 1/2 hour before she came along. The river at the time was clear of other boats.

Rods are static on the bank, as is a moored boat. If the moored boat is hit, is it their fault or the boat under power who is at fault? If I was at fault, then surely the moored boat would be as well. Why should I have to disturb my rods, when the boat has the width of the river to use to aviod them?

What makes it worse, is that none of the 3 boats apologised....

Mark

ps

Great day had at St. Bennet's Abbey, on the river Bure in Norfolk.

Three times! Did you not learn after the first time? Did you walk home down the middle of the road telling the cars to get out of the way?

• Like 1

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Three times! Did you not learn after the first time? Did you walk home down the middle of the road telling the cars to get out of the way?

When Lutra and I made our first fishing trip to the Lower Bure/Thurne/Ant rivers this summer we didn't even have to learn from that first time.

Common sense avoided the problem in the first place.

Its quicker to wind in and recast than have to "play" a 30 foot cruiser :) - or was the problem that of too many rods to deal with quickly ? (in the context of the usual boat traffic plying up and down the Bure/Thurne/Ant system, IMHO even just two rods could be "too many")

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Instead of cutting the line, just point the rod at it and stop the spool, you get most of it back.

Boats drive on the right (at least on my local) and most of the time they really don't see people on the bank.

I keep 2/3 rods out all of the time using backleads with the boats going over the top, this year i've only had the same cruiser twice and some blokes in a kayak :) both deserved captures.