Norfolkdipper

Instead of cutting the line, just point the rod at it and stop the spool, you get most of it back.

Boats drive on the right (at least on my local) and most of the time they really don't see people on the bank.

I keep 2/3 rods out all of the time using backleads with the boats going over the top, this year i've only had the same cruiser twice and some blokes in a kayak :) both deserved captures.

Three rods ?

Is it really worth paying for the extrra licence ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Yes it will improve my chance by 50% :) but now you've highlighted the error of my ways i will use 4, Thanks

So, you are basing this on two Rods @ 100% = 50% each I presume. Therefore a third also = 50% more chance in your line of thought.

Now you have three rods, three rods @100% = 33.3333333inf%

So adding a fourth will only increase your chance by 33.33333333inf%

Some say fishing is a numbers game! :nerd:

Back to original post - Mr Dipper - its your fault for bad angling practice, the broads should only be fished with one rod at any time due to boat traffic, abundance of waterfoul, being tidal (sometimes very very strong), high amount of fish stock and the fact that water craft have right of way/passage.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

RUDD,

I don't agree with your "probabilities or "likelyhood" example - or - your "right of way" explaination.

"When it seems like no one but you knows or follows the rules, the rules say you must give way to avoid loss of property or injury. If you exercise stand-on privilege and an accident results, you’ll be held at least partially responsible." (US)

Phone

Back to original post - Mr Dipper - its your fault for bad angling practice, the broads should only be fished with one rod at any time due to boat traffic, abundance of waterfoul, being tidal (sometimes very very strong), high amount of fish stock and the fact that water craft have right of way/passage.

Disagree with this. I have fished the broads for far longer than I would like to admit to and always use 2 rods when tip fishing. Even in the busiest periods boat wise on main rivers there is no problem. The narrower Thurne or Ant are different but at St bennets there is plenty of room.

john210.jpg

2 miles upstream of St Bennets.

John

Lovely pic John.

From what I remember of St.Bennets, fishing it would most likely be from the boat moorings or by sitting in a small gap in the tall reeds. A lot of the boat moorings i went on had signs up telling anglers to give way to boats. If he sat in a small gap in the tall reeds, I can well understand why the boats may not have been able to see him or his lines.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

on the near bank there are rocks where the old abbey ruins fell over years ago before we were born. LOL There are also posts keeping cruisers away from the rocks. I think this stoney area is why its so famous for its quality roach. John Wilson did a program fishing for big roach in a boat here.

On the main bank it is pretty clear of bankside vegetation but as anyone knows who has been in a boat its very difficult to see anglers on the bank when you are concentrating on other boats espescially yachts.

I normally put up an umbrella which helps visibility. Perhaps I should get a hi viz one. I then watch them like a hawk when they are bank hugging. Its strange put a women in 4X4 and she drives down the middle of the road. Put her in a boat and shes hitting the side. With bank huggers I normally stand up and stare along the bank and they normally see you and move over.

Since I learn't to share the river I have never had a problem. When I thought I owned it I was constantly in a battle. It ruined my fishing. I can now cope with the busiest days on the broads and have fun.

John

p.s. standing in what left of the old ruins makes me go all strange. Theres a prescence in all old buildings. Being a born again pagan it gets me. LOL

Edited by John Weddup
  • Like 1

on the near bank there are rocks where the old abbey ruins fell over years ago before we were born. LOL There are also posts keeping cruisers away from the rocks. I think this stoney area is why its so famous for its quality roach. John Wilson did a program fishing for big roach in a boat here.

On the main bank it is pretty clear of bankside vegetation but as anyone knows who has been in a boat its very difficult to see anglers on the bank when you are concentrating on other boats espescially yachts.

I normally put up an umbrella which helps visibility. Perhaps I should get a hi viz one. I then watch them like a hawk when they are bank hugging. Its strange put a women in 4X4 and she drives down the middle of the road. Put her in a boat and shes hitting the side. With bank huggers I normally stand up and stare along the bank and they normally see you and move over.

Since I learn't to share the river I have never had a problem. When I thought I owned it I was constantly in a battle. It ruined my fishing. I can now cope with the busiest days on the broads and have fun.

John

p.s. standing in what left of the old ruins makes me go all strange. Theres a prescence in all old buildings. Being a born again pagan it gets me. LOL

Is the roach fishing better in winter down there John? From what i could tell in the week i was there in August the stamp of roach seemed better up river (Wroxham and above).

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

used to get this with yachts when fishing off the middle pier at granton harbour edinburgh ,

i remember 1 day when one particular yacht was deliberately crossing folks lines for a good few hours

the old bloke next to me gave him a severe ear bashing , so captain birds eye just crossed his line 1 more time but the old bloke was ready for him

he had a pier rod with multiplier reel loaded with what looked like 100 lb nylon and a half lb lead on the end of the line

when the yacht came through the last time it was met with a heavy cracking noise this was the lead breaking the right side of the hull just about the waterline ,

it was an excellent shot with a hole in the boat about 5 to 6 inches across

the **** who was giving us grief almost fell over the side probably not the right solution but so very funny at the time .

Edited by peterpikefisher

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif