Fish kill on broads

John Weddup

Some may have read on the "who's fault thread" my mention of salt tides getting into broads network. Well according to PAC guys on the ground there tens of thousands of fish seen gasping for air on river Thurne and helps scooping nets full of fish out.

Could well be a major disaster.

John

As John says, when it pushes up stream, it really can affect fishing. Here's a link to the Telegraph report for this weeks surge.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1568827/Tidal-surge-hits-the-coast-of-East-Anglia.html

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Sorry but it proves one thing though, what goes around comes around. Same old news 6 yrs later... Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Some may have read on the "who's fault thread" my mention of salt tides getting into broads network. Well according to PAC guys on the ground there tens of thousands of fish seen gasping for air on river Thurne and helps scooping nets full of fish out.

Could well be a major disaster.

John

In the short term yes, but in the longer term, is it not a good thing? Seemed to me that there is a lot of fish in there and mostly small. Would a big fish kill like this not help improve the over all size in the longer term?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Don't know how far the salt has got up the Thurne but I am about a good 1/4 mile up from the old bridge at Potter heigham and not a sign of a bite in 1 1/2 days fishing

just hope the rest of the week gets better

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

The PAC local guys and EA have been checking today and its passed were you are to candle dyke. It's up the bure to nearly horning. It's still at lethal level this afternoon.

The fish may have pushed ahead but I fear many will turn up in next few days.

Since the last big kill a few years ago there are many more pressures on the fish stocks now. The match results on yare and bure/ Thurne haven't been quite so good this year.

I am afraid you will struggle for bites for a while yet. Know one could have foreseen this a few days ago.

John

It's a shame and nobody likes to see fish dying but the tides are the primary driving force of the broads system. Every now and then you're get a bad one.. I can remember quite a few over the years

The EA have at least got the wherewithal to erect their barrier at the entrance of the large Herbert Woods in Potter Heigham which would of saved a more severe kill.

I will say they seem pretty useless at anticipating these surges as the weather conditions and more importantly the wind are almost identical everytime.

It's always a case of being virtually to the point of closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

Its a shame its come so early in October as many fish will still of been quite a way downstream as the conditions have been so clement.

It's the fish that get trapped in the downstream boatdykes that get both barrels in places such as Acle,Langley,Oby etc...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from my customary 2 weeks up on the Broads.Yes there has been another salt flush and yes it did affect the fishing a bit but its not been the disaster many say.Main rivers (Bure and Thurne) were a bit slow (but this is often the case in recent years) but shoot up the Ant and all is fine. Fish a chuck trotting and a few of the better bream showing on the feeder at night. As said above the Broads are "driven" by the tides and you have to accept this sort of thing is going to happen.Even after bad kills the system ALWAYS recovers.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!