i need your brains!

kirisute

not in a zombie way!! :)

take a gander at this vid:

now im not interested in the footage or the content etc

im interested in the rod modification the chap has done!!

thing is im getting a these reels to test in a few weeks and i think the best way forwards is for me to mod one of my pen rods into the fly fishing rod version in the vid!

problem is its not something ive ever done before!

so im asking for hints and tips on how you think i should go about it:

the pen rods split down into component parts easily enough; but im really unsure how to progress from those parts:

would it be better to buy a cheap fly rod and steal the handle off that and glue the pen rod sections in to it?

or possibly start from new and purchase un drilled cork handles?

in short:

HELP!!!!!

initial plan is to purchase something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/preformed-cork-handle-for-fishing-rods-tube-bore-8mm-/310362795910?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item4843106f86

then brutally attack it with knives and sharp things and a healthy portion of "hope" til it works

:)

Edited by kirisute

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, so the question is, "how do I make a handle on a fly rod"? I hope Sportsman has taken his laptop into hospital, he's built quite a few fly rods! I'd have thought the process is essentially the same as any other cork handled rod, though?

Hi kiri

That handle is very much smaller than a normal fly handle so is obviously custom made althou the fighting butt on the end is a stock item.

You can get premade handles, reel seats and loose corks here

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/

You will just have to do some modifications.

If the hole in the corks or reel seats is too big then build up arbours of masking tape and epoxy it on.

If the whole is too small then just use a rat tail file or similar to enlarge it

Good luck with it

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

aha! cool site! cheers mate!

yeah I figure its gonna take a lot of modification; but even if I buy a sculpted handle and then chop the centre out I figure it shouldn't be too tough....the interesting thing will be if I can create it and keep it telescopic or will I have to sacrifice that....

nice little winter night project methinks!!

if I can figure it out I might offer the service to the pen rod customers: apparently the company is being flooded with requests for a pen fly rod...so a bespoke service might be the order of the day once I create a suitable plan

I am confused - have Penn bought out a mini reel but no Rod to put it on?

If so it seems a pointless exercise in the first place does it not.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Penn (note spelling) have nothing to do with this at all!

these are "pen" rods...ie telescopic rods that collapse to the size of a "pen".

and no its not pointless at all!

we currently have min 'pins for these rods which are awesome to fish with...the new fly reel will be similar but will allow for true fly lines to be used with the rods. in order to help that along it stands to reason it might be nice to mod a rod into a fly rod instead of the usual telescopic handle.

and its certainly not pointless from the point of view that:

A: I want to do it

B: always wanted to fly fish with these rods anyway

C: if it works and I can figure a decent design out then I might be able to sell bespoke versions

A problem that I can see is that a flyline is much bulkier than a normal line. To get it onto a reel that size it woul be in very tight coils and it is likely it would remain in very tight coils as you try to cast it.

You would probably have to go with a lighter (thinner) line, a 1 or 2 weight I would have thought without seeing it. That would limit the usefulness of the rod.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Penn (note spelling) have nothing to do with this at all!

these are "pen" rods...ie telescopic rods that collapse to the size of a "pen".

and no its not pointless at all!

we currently have min 'pins for these rods which are awesome to fish with...the new fly reel will be similar but will allow for true fly lines to be used with the rods. in order to help that along it stands to reason it might be nice to mod a rod into a fly rod instead of the usual telescopic handle.

and its certainly not pointless from the point of view that:

A: I want to do it

B: always wanted to fly fish with these rods anyway

C: if it works and I can figure a decent design out then I might be able to sell bespoke versions

Who makes the reels?

My point is someone has made a mini fly reel to fit a pen Fly rod, a rod that does not exist - At least it has given you a project!

On a serious note - do you have a pen sized landing net handle or do you just take the smallest you can find or a telescopic bankstick?

Back to you problem - could you not design a reel seat for the pen rods normal reel seat to slot into.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!