Carp Fishing, a gift for my husband

xxflair

Hi guys I'm wondering if you could give me a hand :)

Christmas is coming up and I've been wanting to make this year the best for my husband. Last year my husband and I found out that we were going to have a baby on July 15th this year and he came to the decision to sell all his carp fishing gear so he could purchase bits and bobs for her. Ever since he's done that I have felt awful because I know how much fishing mean't to him. He enjoyed nothing more than spending a saturday out by the lakes and I also enjoyed chilling with him in the fresh air.

Now I don't fish and have no idea what the difference between anything is, yet if you ask me anything about horses I can answer more or less instantly, so i really need your help. I didn't pay much attention to his gear last year but I know he had two rods, several bite alarm, mats, a net, a weight thing (ha bet you're all laughing at me now), several bits of tack in a box and other bits and pieces. Now I am a mother and I am on maternity pay which isn't a lot so I do have a bit of a budget (but thats OK because I truly believe that you don't need to spend a fortune to be the best fisherman!)

So if anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it :D

I have found several bits online but I'm wondering whether a £10 or £30 rod will be as good as a £200 rod o_o

I don't want to disappoint him.

So please if you can help me please write back. Please be gentle as half the things you may say I won't have a clue haha!!

Thank you lots for reading

Flair

xx

Wow what a question!

Why not stick to consumables or better still ask him what he needs. Hooks and line will likely go down well but theres a fair chance you will buy the wrong thing. If I am reading right I think you need a whole kit and you are spot on, the cheap stuff will be a disapointment if previously he had some good fishing gear.

Click here to Visit St Ives Tackle 

apple-touch-icon.webp

Wow what a question!

It's a difficult one without a bit more info.

The reason he had all that stuff Flair is that he presumably needed it for the way he fished.

I tend to keep quite mobile when I fish for carp and so I take a rod, a reel a landing net and a bag for bait and end tackle, some people just can't fish like that and so he may need to replace all the other stuff too, just so long as you're prepared for that.

I'm unable to advise on which rod would be best, (mine are all quite old) but there's a few on here that change their rods more often than their socks who may be able to help.

If you're happy to buy from ebay there's always some bargains to be had.

• 2 weeks later...

What a lovely thought ,and hope things going well with the baby . I would recommend popping in to your local tackle shop and getting him a voucher ,then he can get what he wants .my local tackle shop often sells second hand gear for other people .so no loss to eBay .Hope he enjoys .cheers Alan

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

This is such a lovely thread, I have not posted lately,but, I have been watching a reading.

Flair, If you send me a message with your full name and address I will send you lots of end tackle gear that I have all unused that will help get your Husband started when the rods and reels are decided on.

I think you will have to do this through the a Moderator as I do not think that you will have PM facilities yet.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

This is such a lovely thread, I have not posted lately,but, I have been watching a reading.

Flair, If you send me a message with your full name and address I will send you lots of end tackle gear that I have all unused that will help get your Husband started when the rods and reels are decided on.

Checking their profile details, xxflair hasn't been back to the forum since posting the original message nearly two weeks ago.

Thanks Ayjay, Maybe it was a spoof post?

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.