AN Coarse Fishers to the beach?

Steve Walker

As well as my proper beach rod, I brought my spod and marker rods and reels on holiday. I've just had a pleasant morning stood in the sea in my chest waders, rolling a 3oz lead and a ragworm around the cove. I used my marker rod, Avospod reel and 25lb braid, and it was just right for that kind of fishing. I didn't get to try it out on a fish, but it was a very pleasant outfit to use, much more so than my proper beachcaster.

It occurs to me that a lot of us probably have heavy coarse gear which could be pressed into service for a beach session, if we picked the right venue. Not winter cod fishing, obviously, but clean ground, light currents, nice summer evening. I used to have the odd session down near Lee-On-Solent, I reckon that could be done easily with spod/marker rods or heavy carp/pike gear and big pit reels. Someone might have local knowledge of somewhere more appropriate?

Could make an interesting fish-in for summer 2014, something a bit different?