carp on the float

mike1234

this week i went down to a local farm pool that as a lot of carp from 3lb up to double figures

there was a few fish feeding of the surface and a lot of bubbles coming up from feeding fish,

i float fished crab flavoured hookable pellets on a size 12 hook to 8lb line but when ever the float raced under and i struck there was nothing there, bites on sweet corn and luncheon meat where shy the pellets seemed to get the fish interested but i couldnt seem to hook them

i dont know if the hooks where too small or if fishing on the float is the wrong way to target them,

this week i went down to a local farm pool that as a lot of carp from 3lb up to double figures

there was a few fish feeding of the surface and a lot of bubbles coming up from feeding fish,

i float fished crab flavoured hookable pellets on a size 12 hook to 8lb line but when ever the float raced under and i struck there was nothing there, bites on sweet corn and luncheon meat where shy the pellets seemed to get the fish interested but i couldnt seem to hook them

i dont know if the hooks where too small or if fishing on the float is the wrong way to target them,

We fish a local venue with similar carp (up to 30lb) and generally we have two rods (ledger and float) ... if we're missing the float strikes from fussy/cautious carp we use a small hair rig on the float with three sweetcorn (or similar size bait) and it proves pretty successful turning the ratios from "many bites: few strikes" to "less bites: many strikes". It does take some of the fun out of it, as you don't rely on your ability to strike as much as you do normally. Also, we tend to use a 14 or 16 hook so wouldn't think you're running too small.

That's my $0.02, but it's all subjective so worth reading some more, especially if you can find experiences from people who fished the same place. We always chat to a few people bank-side and ask what they're using and how it's doing.

Regards,

Sean A

... that one won't get away again!