worms

dr bacardi

have got myself a tub full of nice juicy worms and am going to have a go with them tomorrow on the feeder.just wanted to know the best way to present them on the hook?should i cut them up into small pieces or hook them up without cutting them up?

cheers chris

have got myself a tub full of nice juicy worms and am going to have a go with them tomorrow on the feeder.just wanted to know the best way to present them on the hook?should i cut them up into small pieces or hook them up without cutting them up?

cheers chris

Hi Chris

It depends what you are after?

Generally I like to fish the whole worm, hooked at the head end once.

I tend to use half worms or sections when float fishing in the winter but still always start with a whole worm.

Were are you fishing?

What type of fish will you catch?

Cheers

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Hi Chris

It depends what you are after?

Generally I like to fish the whole worm, hooked at the head end once.

I tend to use half worms or sections when float fishing in the winter but still always start with a whole worm.

Were are you fishing?

What type of fish will you catch?

Cheers

fishing my local pond,bream,tench ,carp in there...last time i went i only caught bream but was happy just to catch.all the bream where caught using flavoured pellets so thought i would have a go with worms.

Word of advice to all you worm users.

The saddle is where the highest concentration of blood vessels are. Hooking through the saddle will kill your worm faster than stamping on it with a size 10 Doc Marten boot. I used to hook through this bit myself. I don't know why either, it just seemed to be the right bit. I was told this by a friend who studies biology and since then I've hooked through the tail somewhere and to be honest, he was right. My lobs do in fact last that bit longer.

Also, the story about halving worms and both ends growing into a 2 worms is also a myth. The head end may survive but the tail end withers and dies.

Did you also know you can 'beef' up your worms by adding mashed potato to them over a period. We do this with both Dendrobes and Lobs and we grow some right big snakes. Even the 2lb Perch are scared of them. You can add a handful of freshly mashed potato or a liberal sprinkling of Smash/Mr.Mash. Potato peel done in the blender works well too, as does a lot of household waste. Just don't use anything from fruit because they don't like it and it alters the PH of the medium. Fresh leaves, fallen in autumn, are a big favourite of the old Lobs. Just leave them on the surface and the lobs will drag 'em down into their lair.

If you must keep them for a period, make sure the soil is PH neutral or they can die of pretty fast. Also make sure you ventilate the tub from all sides.

Um...if you add a handful of sharp sand and moss to a tub of Lobs you can toughen the skin, which makes them extra hookable and if you soak them in a few mm of water on the night before you go fishing, they absorb the extra water to save themselves from drowning and bloat right up, fatter still.

You can give all your worms names but don't get too attached or you’ll never use them for bait.

You can reuse worms if you put them back into a nice medium after 20 mins or so. Any longer and they drown. I leger big Lobs and I rotate them often. Even if they catch fish, as long as they are still kicking, they'll survive if you look after them. A bit of mash and they soon spring back to health. Change them into fresh medium after a session and you can keep the same bunch of worms for ages.

Err...that's about it on the subject of worms.

Oh yea...did you know that worms are an excellent source of minerals and protein. If you go fishing for a few days and you break your pinkie, you won't die as long as you have a tub of fat lobs. Yum Yum.

Um...worms can't climb trees without crampons...... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...