headlamps, lanterns and shelters

Westie

Just about to get myself kitted out for night fishing.

I've seen the thread on Ron Thompson's shelter - is there any real difference between it and the beach buddy?

I was thinking about the Thunderbolt electric lantern - any feedback? (because I'm a clutz and I'll probably spill petrol over myself and my new shelter and provde Homer style amusement rolling around in the surf on fire with a tilley)

...and any recommendations for a decent headlamp? Don't want to break the bank!

Lastly, any tips on casting at night with multipliers?! Don't want to try and unpick line by my burning shelter, cos I'll probably melt me 525s!

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

headlamp...i use an LED lamp, takes 3 AAA's, pretty good as well for close up (bit pants if your needing it for long distance illumination)...batteries last ages (4-5 night sessions at least maybe more before you notice the illumination dropping)...its a Petzl Tikka...think it was about £30, and its so handy i never go without it, i'd consider it a must have :)

Wilkinsons had some diver's headlamps for £3.99 (or was it £2.99) a few weeks ago.

Two batteries, at £1.49 for 8, usually last all night.

[ 20. September 2004, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Hi. I wouldn't go for the thunderbolt beach lamp because all it does is light up the beach but get one if you use tip lights on your rods.But the MFA headlamps are good for the money and you get 3 bright leds and 1 halogen bulb so you can flick from one to the other depending on what you are doing.Should last up to 14 hours using equal amounts of lighting with halogen and leds, £19.99.

Tip for using multi at night is cast and then look at the spool as soon as lead has gone and hit spool with thumb as soon as spool stops turning. Works for me and most tournement casters but dont wait as long as they do before hitting the spool with your thumb, LOL.

I have a Shakespeare recharchable Halogen headlamp and it is very bright. You can also turn it on to a smaller bulb for close work. I used it all last winter and it is still going strong I think I paid about £35 and I must have saved half of that in not having to buy batteries.

I have also just bought a MFA clip on LED lamp and intend to stick it on the tripod to show the rod tips. No where near as bright as the halogen but handy as a stand by as it comes with a strap to turn it into a headlamp.

Bob

I have and MFA clip-on I use it mainly as a secondary light just for baiting up etc, but I often use it as my main light in clear weather.

I tried to use it clipped on to the tripod to illuminate the tips but it didn't work because of the reflective tape on my tips. I forgot that it reflects straight back to the light source so unless you are inline with it you see nothing! It should work with luminous painted tips though.

An LED lamp will be all you need on your head unless you have to look out to sea for pot bobbers/ ends of groynes etc. There is a review of LED lamps in this months sea angler. I own a Petzl Duo LED which is damn good, and I hardly use the halogen bulb. I used to use a petzl zoom converted to 6v halogen bulb and a lead acid battery on my belt which was great, but the reflector eventually melted from the heat of the bulb, and it was a bit heavy & cumbersome. It also hurt if you sat down hard on the very hard and square battery when rock fishing!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com