Windows Service Pack 3

Peter Sharpe

My computer automatically downloaded Service Pack 3, but I have not yet installed it. After reading about it I have decided I don't want to go ahead with it, but I can't find out where the installation files are being stored. Can anybody tell me how to get rid of the 100 megabytes or more that are hidden somewhere on my computer?

p.s. Before anybody say look for KB936929, that is only there when you have installed the service pack. I want to find out where the pre-installation files have gone and then delete them.

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

if you done it via windows update then thay dont download untill you request it

ie: click the download /install button.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

if you done it via windows update then thay dont download untill you request it

ie: click the download /install button.

I'm afraid I had it set up so that it wouldn't actually install it until it did it manually, but it automatically dowloaded in the region of 100 meg of installation files, that I could hear whirring away, taking about 15 minutes to download. I then got a message saying that the update was now ready to install and I now have an irritating shield with an exclamation mark in the system tray. They must be on my computer somewhere, waiting for me to install them, but I'm damned if I can find them.

I did think of running the installation and then uninstalling it, but because it offers absolutely nothing I need and because of the problems other people have had, I don't want to take the risk.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Can't help you Peter I'm afraid. I have it somewhere on my PC as well, tried 5 times to install the files etc..all the checks are done and passed and installation begins....files being installed at a fair old rate........suddenly get message...."access forbidden"

I have thought of filming the screen and try to spot the exact moment when the Access is denied.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Can't help you Peter I'm afraid. I have it somewhere on my PC as well, tried 5 times to install the files etc..all the checks are done and passed and installation begins....files being installed at a fair old rate........suddenly get message...."access forbidden"

I have thought of filming the screen and try to spot the exact moment when the Access is denied.

Den

hi Den

You have access permission problem on registry. Do a reg backup first

(1) Open a file "setupai.log" at C:\windows (use notepad or WordPad)

(2) Search a word for "denied"

(3) You will find which key(s) is causing "Access denied" error.

(4) Open "regedit.exe"

(5) Search for problem key(s).

(6) Check permission for problem key(s).

Change "Administrators" permission to "Full Control"

(7) Try to SP3 update again...

or

Try method 3 on from MS to change permission.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

This will change ALL administrators permissions within registry.

Good Luck!

Edited by peterpikefisher

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

Sounds a bit frightening to me :)

I will have a look and think :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Sounds a bit frightening to me :)

I will have a look and think :)

Den

Den. Have a look at same document, but try Method 1 first. Downloading the whole SP3 file and running it standalone is much easier if you are unsure of what you are doing. We never apply Service Packs any other way in the real world, and we VERY seldom have issues. That said I can't install SP3 on my own laptop because the driver for my usb sound card won't work. This is not a Microsoft problem, it is a problem with the third party driver. We have hundreds of machines at work running SP3 with no problems at all.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

In the end I installed SP3 and then found out that Nero7 was making CDs from MP3s that were playing, yet no sound was being produced. I uninstalled Nero and re-installed it (several times, from both the version on my Recovery drive and from the manufacturer's CD). Then I tried system restore, which failed, forcing me to re-install XP from the recovery CD. I've got everything back, but now the text looks different on some sites. Now Nero is corrupted and I can't find a way of re-installing it. I don't know if any of this was because of SP3, but everything was fine until then.

In the end I installed SP3 and then found out that Nero7 was making CDs from MP3s that were playing, yet no sound was being produced. I uninstalled Nero and re-installed it (several times, from both the version on my Recovery drive and from the manufacturer's CD). Then I tried system restore, which failed, forcing me to re-install XP from the recovery CD. I've got everything back, but now the text looks different on some sites. Now Nero is corrupted and I can't find a way of re-installing it. I don't know if any of this was because of SP3, but everything was fine until then.

nope peter my Nero is fine after Sp3 if you have a file shredding software use it to shred all ahead/Nero files

then shut down/restart then do a clean install of Nero should work OK man...

cpranim.gif

I discovered that huge numbers of people have had problems with Nero, but normally by creating DVDs with no sound. I then found out that Nero have a tool on their website that you can use to remove all traces of the program (something that the normal uninstaller fails to do). I then re-installed Nero from the computer's recovery CD and everything was fine. The only worry I have is that the system restore point I created after installing it no longer works. I had also been having trouble with Internet Explorer. After re-installing XP, I forgot that it put IE6 back on, which caused a problem of "Windows cannot find '(null)'" every time I tried a search. Re-installing IE7 cured that, but I'm still a bit worried about system restore not working properly. It was due to it hanging that I had to re-install XP.