bioline

Phone

All,

I was/am NOT aquainted with this line. Coffee today said it has been on the market since about 2009 - 2010. What are your opinions about "biodegradable" fishing line? I can't believe it didn't take the UK by storm. The copy below the picture is cut and paste.

Eagle-Claw_lrg.jpg

This biodegradable fishing line decomposes after five years in water or open air; typical monofilament takes 600 years. However, it performs like standard mono with outstanding knot strength and abrasion resistance for the initial 10 to 12 months. Bioline is available in 4- to 20-pound test and packaged in air- and watertight packaging.

Phone

Laudable idea, but I can't help thinking that if I had it on reels for more than a few months, the question would always be nagging at me, wondering to what degree the line had already started to break down / biodegrade - and surely, that would also be dependent upon such things as the length of exposure to light / water etc? Nice idea, but just one more (needless) thing to be worrying about maybe?

..... and if more anglers behave in a decent, responsible fashion, much of the discarded line found bankside would vanish into domestic rubbish bins in very small lengths, and a product like this may not be neccesary?

Hmmm ... ticking away in the back of my mind is something I was reading maybe 7 years ago about biodegradable hook - not routine decay through rusting away, but a biodegradable product that would break down in just a few days if left in water - or a fish!

600 years.

If that were true then every tree along rivers like the severn should be festooned with a spiders web of line dating back to the 60's and 70's and they just arn't.

A biodegradable line is a great sounding idea but as said, after a couple of months coiled wet on a spool durring English summer type temperatures, I'd have grave doubts about the integrity of the line.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Good idea but I cant see it taking off in this country.

Like the others I too would be questioning the lines strength on my reel after fishing in rain. (which seems to be increasing year on year :( )

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

Philo,

Non-stainless steel hooks are one of the most degradable parts of the fishing tackle chain, with bronze coated hooks shown to oxidise and completely dissolve within six months in seawater. Research has also shown that these types of hooks rapidly degrade when embedded in a fish, and so are easily discarded with minimal impact (particularly when the fish is mouth hooked). Bronzed hooks dissolve in carp in 4 to 7 days when water temps are in the high 60's - 70's. (This has LONG been a "soap box" cause I have championed. Carp guys talk "safety" but frankly are hyprocrits. "Carp hooks" are VERY dangerous to the health and safety of carp. Thank goodness they are just fish.

I hear you raise your eyebrows in disbelief “but won’t it break right as you’re trying to land that fish of a lifetime?” The answer, is happily, no. Despite bioline’s capacity to degrade relatively quickly, it has been found to have excellent knot strength and UV and abrasion resistance for its intended lifespan (10-12 months). Bioline loses as little as 3% of its original breaking strain after constant and intense 12 month’s exposure to sun, wind and rain on the reel. (surpassing both mono and flurocarbon).

Ken,

What's your point? The 1/2 life of traditional fishing line material is well known. Often "traditionalists" have "grave doubts" about technology. (grave doubts is a politically correct way of saying "stupid".)

Phone

It’s got to be a step in the right direction. Any doubts about premature deterioration would be no greater than nicks or abrasions guiding us to change lines annually.
Maybe in years to come line will be good for say two years, then start changing colour as it quickly breaks down within months.

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea but I cant see it taking off in this country.

Like the others I too would be questioning the lines strength on my reel after fishing in rain. (which seems to be increasing year on year :( )

What's rain got to do with it, do you not fish in water like the rest of us?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

What's rain got to do with it, do you not fish in water like the rest of us?

:)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

Philo,

Non-stainless steel hooks are one of the most degradable parts of the fishing tackle chain, with bronze coated hooks shown to oxidise and completely dissolve within six months in seawater. Research has also shown that these types of hooks rapidly degrade when embedded in a fish, and so are easily discarded with minimal impact (particularly when the fish is mouth hooked). Bronzed hooks dissolve in carp in 4 to 7 days when water temps are in the high 60's - 70's.

(This has LONG been a "soap box" cause I have championed. Carp guys talk "safety" but frankly are hyprocrits. "Carp hooks" are VERY dangerous to the health and safety of carp. Thank goodness they are just fish.

Mmm this is interesting. I have long thought the "UK Carp Police " are hypocrits, lecturing all and sundry on too small an unhooking mat, you're holding that carp all wrong. Blah Blah Blah. The bottom line is they dont care about the carp at all. What they really care about is getting their mugshot in the Carp rag at any cost because its all about them. They are no better than teenagers taking selfies for Facebook. Carp anglers take selfies for the Carp mags and facebook!!

How long till the carp police get me lol. :lol:

• Like 1

Click here to Visit St Ives Tackle 

apple-touch-icon.webp