microsoft service packs?

*Ant*

Another for the techy section but until it's up and running...............

My OS is 2000pro, what are the MS service packs and should/do I need to download these regulary?

Thanks

Ant

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Am sure others can give more detail, but here my thoughts.

I would say definately download them, apart from carrying out a number of minor (and major) tweaks they address the "numerous" security flaws within the Microsoft O/S.

If you have a pretty constant live network connection for example you are on a Local Area Network at work, or you are online with Broadband. I would 100% suggest that you install them, as a number of holes and back doors that are in the Microsoft O/S are dealt with (especially if you use IIS) - so it makes security within your system that much better.

If you are on Dial-up, then I would still recommend that they are installed for improved performance (although not exactly noticable), and to improve security.

Hope this help's.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Hi Ant,

The latest service pack for MS2000 pro is

Serv Pack 4. If you're a regular internet user, there are also some security patches you may need over and above SP4. Checkout www.microsoft.com

click on downloads, drop down Windows 2000 and type in security as a search argument. This should take you to the relevant page. Some of the security patches are listed in Security Bulletin nos: 03-026, 03-039, 03-043 & 03-045.

Hope this helps.....Terry

Terry

Ant,

Sorry, forgot to mention, MS Win2000 pro Sevice Pack 4 is about 129Mb, so unless you're on

broadband you may find it difficult to get hold off. If so, let me know...........Terry

Terry

terryk:

Ant,

Sorry, forgot to mention, MS Win2000 pro Sevice Pack 4 is about 129Mb, so unless you're on

broadband you may find it difficult to get hold off. If so, let me know...........Terry

That's the problem I have as my connection is so slow, I always get cut off before they've completed. So I only end up downloading the smaller ones.

BTW - good idea this new forum, nice one Elton. :)

HB.

Ant - you need SP4 for sure.

After that, take a look at the hot fixes and only get the ones that deal with stuff you have.

Go to This link, put in your OS, put in SP4 (since you will be getting it), and check the box for only the more recent issues which will give you a list of only the post-SP4 security patches and see which ones you need.

To All - for any MS OS or product, you can use the same link and get your own list.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Colin - you can get it on CD. Easiest would be if someone on the forum burned it and sent the disk to you though.

But if you have two (or more) computers, you can network them and load across the network with no problems at all.

If you are interested, start a thread on "how to network these blasted things" and give specifics on what systems you have now. It's easiest with a network card in each PC but can be done with a serial or parallel cable too.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President