What? No UK football?

severus

Ummm, why is the UK not fielding a football team for the Olympics? Seems incredible to me. And how is it that a World Cup team is fielded every four years, without the same problems holding it up? I don't get it.

Story Here

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Ummm, why is the UK not fielding a football team for the Olympics? Seems incredible to me. And how is it that a World Cup team is fielded every four years, without the same problems holding it up? I don't get it.

Story Here

The answer is in your linked article, the World cup team is "England" not the UK.

And none of us even made it as far as Europe this year. China may be asking way too much :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The answer is in your linked article, the World cup team is "England" not the UK.

Plus the UK are not in the olympics, it's GB.

I don't even think we'll be fielding a team in 2012 which seems daft, but I can't say I'm bothered as there's plenty of better things to watch at the olympics (IMHO).

Rob.

Plus the UK are not in the olympics, it's GB.

I don't even think we'll be fielding a team in 2012 which seems daft, but I can't say I'm bothered as there's plenty of better things to watch at the olympics (IMHO).

Rob.

I could be wrong on this, But havent we got to field a team seeing as we are hosts?

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Noted. I also hadn't noticed the GB designation.

~ Mark Twain

there should be a team for 2012,the danger being that fifa might press for us to remain as team uk/gb.this is why the home nation football associations didnt want to do this.im pretty certain that team gb will be a one off just for 2012 as long as fifa etc except it as so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/f...all/7067642.stm

explains it in more detail

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

I could be wrong on this, But havent we got to field a team seeing as we are hosts?

I don't see why we have to. Yep it looks better if we do but with all the bickering, I'm not convinced it'll happen. Football is too much about money, and the olympics don't pay too good so no ones too bothered.

Rob.

Basketball at the NBA (professional) level is all about money as well but we manage to field a team for the Olympics consisting of pro players from quite a few different teams as opposed to having a standing national team.

Many of the players on other teams will be old friends as well since many NBA players take the time off to play for their country. If you watched the opening ceremony, you may have noticed 7' 6" Yao Ming taking part as a representative of China and you will see him again any time China plays basketball. Once the Olympics are over, he will be back in the States at his home in Texas and playing for the Houston Rockets.

I think at some point it is a matter of National pride to field a team to compete in the Olympic games every 4 years.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Chris Kaman is going to play for Germany, even though he's not German, doesn't speak Deutsche, and only recently went to Germany. Kaman plays for the LA Clippers and is from my town. A lot of folks around here think he's a "traitor" even though he wouldn't have played for team USA. Go figure. I think he just wanted to participate, saw his opportunity, and took it.

HERE

Edited by severus

~ Mark Twain