Digital Cameras

kendo

I've read that some of the non Canon EOS lenses like Sigma and Tamron over a couple of years old may have to be re-chipped to work with the new Canon SLR digital bodies like the 300D and the 10D.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sslatter
jeepster:

sorry, wasn't making myself clear, i meant standard throughout a manufacturers range (either analogue or digital)

you're right, its a complete pain in the backside that canon, nikon etc all use different fittings. the point i was trying to make was that if you have for example a canon film body and some lenses for it, then if you bought a canon digital body the lenses would still fit.

Okay. Point taken. I can't say about Canon, but it can't be said of Pentax, that any Pentax lens fits any Pentax camera. Just off the top of my head, I can think of 5 different Pentax lens mounts, and there are probably plenty more.

..and regarding the earlier posts about time delay with digital shots, I saw an interesting camera the other day.

When I was an Art student, our photography tutor taught us that it was always a good idea to take three shots of every picture: one on the f stop setting that the photographer manually sets, one that is one stop lower, and one that is one stop higher.

So I was pleasantly surprised when surfing the net the other day, to find a digital camera that has an automatic setting for this facility, taking (as I understand it)three shots in 4 seconds at three different adjacent f stop settings, as per my old tutor's instructions. The camera is the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ2, which although on the smallish side pixel-wise (2.1 M) has a 12X Leica optical zoom. This camera was superceded last week by the release of the Lumix DMC FZ10, which has 4M pixels, 12X Leica optical zoom, plus the three-shot facility with three adjacent F stop settings.

Just wish I could afford one! :( Still, it'll probably be down to about half-price in 6 months time.

[ 28. December 2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Guest sslatter
jeepster:

if its just been superceded it sould be going cheap any day now!

sounds like a good camera, i'm still on the look out for a little, pocket sized digi

Hi jeepster. It was already going cheap before the new model came out. It was $999NZ when it first came out (!!!) but it's now available for £241.99 in the UK (Pricerunner). I wouldn't call it pocket-sized though.

I like the Pricerunner facility where you can see the price changes for a camera. Why anyone pays full whack, and doesn't wait a few months is beyond me.

Still.. I suppose some people can afford to pay what they want, and good luck to 'em.

All the best.

[ 28. December 2003, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

quote:

Originally posted by Graham X:

When I was an Art student, our photography tutor taught us that it was always a good idea to take three shots of every picture: one on the f stop setting that the photographer manually sets, one that is one stop lower, and one that is one stop higher.

So I was pleasantly surprised when surfing the net the other day, to find a digital camera that has an automatic setting for this facility, taking (as I understand it)three shots in 4 seconds at three different adjacent f stop settings, as per my old tutor's instructions. The camera is the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ2, which although on the smallish side pixel-wise (2.1 M) has a 12X Leica optical zoom. This camera was superceded last week by the release of the Lumix DMC FZ10, which has 4M pixels, 12X Leica optical zoom, plus the three-shot facility with three adjacent F stop settings.

Just wish I could afford one!
:(
Still, it'll probably be down to about half-price in 6 months time. [/QB]

This facility, called bracketting, has in fact been around for some time and is available on both film and digital cameras, but usually only on the more advanced models. I agree it's a useful facility, but unfortunately my Canon A80 doesn't have it although other more expensive Canon models do.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest sslatter

Okay Steve, cheers for that. I didn't know. Can you guess you're talking to a man who still thinks that the pinnacle of photographic technology was reached with his old but brilliant Pentax Spotmatic? :D To even talk about another camera is practically adulterous! :D

..but I must admit I have been thinking of selling it and all the kit, and getting a digital SLR (can't afford to buy one without selling the other)but I've had it a long time, and it IS a great SLR..hmmm..

Anyway, what am I waffling on about? Must be the post-Christmas "hair-of-the-dog effect".

Duplicated post. Mods please delete.

Sorry Steve but you may have noticed there are no mods listed for this section. So - nobody to do the deed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Graham X:

Okay Steve, cheers for that. I didn't know. Can you guess you're talking to a man who still thinks that the pinnacle of photographic technology was reached with his old but brilliant Pentax Spotmatic? :D To even talk about another camera is practically adulterous! :D

Once more I agree. Both Peggy and I had Pentax SLRs and they were, indeed are, brilliant. All that we've got left of our Pentax gear now is a P50 body and a tele-zoom. Once it's sold the only 35mm camera we'll have is a weatherproof Olympus compact.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net