Digital Cameras

kendo

hi I know nothing about digital cameras,except that the more mega pixels you have the better the pic I think,I was thinking of buying one just for a few snaps perhaps of fish I might catch dont need anything fancy or pricey could anyone recomend one for less than a £100 that they have had experence of,how good are the pics,how many pics could I take with regards memory,any help appreciated. :confused:

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kendo

I am sure you will get something for £100 around the 2 megapixel mark. This is enough for day to day photo's. As for quality of prints I have had good results on some of the cheapest printers going it just takes a bit of setting the printer up right for the paper etc. As for memory the cards hold alot and they come in different sizes from 8mb upwards. A card of around 32-64mb is more than enough for what you want. Have a look on ebay for some real bargains

www.ebay.co.uk

Seph

Paul

Just about any decent digital camera you can get these days is fine. If you plan to post or email most of your pics, the screen resolution folks use can't display all the detail of 2Mp anyway and you only really need that (or higher) if you want to print really high quality pictures.

The higher the camera resolution (the mega pixel thing) the more memory it will take to store each photo but with 32Mb of memory you can get easily 50 and maybe lots more photos before you run out of space and that space is reclaimed after you delete the pics from the camera (hopefully AFTER you've loaded them onto your PC).

One feature I strongly suggest is Optical Zoom. That's when the lens moves to zoom in and out. Some digi cameras only have Digital Zoom and that usually gives you poor pictures when compared to those using optical zoom.

Here's a snap from mine (pretty much what is being recommended). It's only a small piece of the center of the picture though - the whole thing would have been way too large so I cropped out part.

platform-looking-left.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Argos do a Polaroid PDC 3035 camera, 3.2 megapixels for just a tad under 100 squids. For another 27 you can buy the camera, a 64mb smart card and a leather carrying case.

Just bought one, and am impressed enough to recommend it....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I've got a Sony, It's a tad over your budget but is a cracking camera, takes good piccies. Only ever had an 8mb card for it.

For general fishy type photos on mid range resolution you'll get around a dozen or more pictures off it before it's full. :)

Anyone know where I can get cheap memory sticks for it please? :confused:

[ 10. December 2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Townlad ]

Several of These sound reasonable.

Or just do a google search for sony digital memory. I've found 64Mb cards for as low as $30.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

most cameras these days are much of a muchness, as newt says, optical zoom is important (and digital zoom is irrelevant as you can do that on your pc later) one other thing i think is important is the batteries and next time i buy a digi camera, i wont be buying one that uses regular AA's, they dont last very long at all, try to get one with a li-ion or ni-mh rechargables built in.

kendo:
Sonja brought me one for under £100, Trust 3.3 mega pixels. 8mb built in but went out and brought a card 64mb.

As mentioned batteries can run out fairly quickly

so have 6 recharbles and a cheapo recharger. I carry 4 spare batteries and when on a trip an adaptor for the recharger (Norrie take note :D )

For some reason my scanner has not worked since I installed the driver for the camera.

I have saved a lot of money since I got mine, I would be in the photographers a couple of times a month laying out on film and developing etc.

The only time I go in there now is if I have a special picture that I want doing, as for the rest my printer, photographic paper and ink do fine but work out more expensive than the shop.

Good luck and look forward to seing some pics.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/