Digital Cameras

kendo

You can switch between resolutions in seconds. The largest jpg files are also good enough to print in a magazine as long as you don't go over half a page. I have to admit that this really baffles me, but you can get around thirty of these on a 128mb card, even though they seem to come out at 14.4mb (same as the TIFs). There are several other settings that should allow you to take huge numbers on a single disk. You can also add voice memos, create panoramic shots, plus the usual 15 second movies. I've never tried the panoramic facility, but it works by somehow stitching three shots together. I can't see how this is any different from joining three ordinary shots together in some kind of image processing software though. There is also the facility to creat 3D images that you can look at through the special viwer provided (a bit of a gimmick I think).

It has one of these high-tec (lithium ion?) batteries that will easily allow you to shoot all day with all systems running.

The disadvantages I can think of are that you can't shoot wide angle, and you are unable to add screw-on filters. This has proved to be a slight disadvantage when photographing the interiors of motorhomes and caravans, etc, and a polarising filter would have been useful to cut down reflections on glass. Other than that the pictures are so sharp as to be almost frightening.

Oh, and it is also very small and will easily fit into your pocket.

I think there are several other cameras that are just as good at the normal price, but if you can find one of these at the discounted price they are probably unbeatable in that price range at the moment

[ 12. December 2003, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lee wood:

One other thing...

You will want rechargable batteries with a 1800mAh or more power rating. Most normal batts are 1500 or 1600.

Just been to the camera shop for some 1800mAh batteries, mine are size AA and he recons that the highest mAh for this size is 800 :confused:

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan - Try a set of Nickel Metal Hydrides(Ni-MH)

I have 2 different brands, one from Uniross and the other labelled "SAFT", they're both rated 1300mAh.

Think you need a special charger for them, I picked one up cheap that will charge these and also Nicads.

Like Nicads, when they're nearly flat they will fairly quickly expire compared to an alkaline battery so best to carry a spare set,

Jim.

I recently bought a new digital camera and batteries/charger after doing a considerable amount of research, including looking at a huge number of independent test reports.

Everything pointed to buying a camera that uses AA size batteries as they're obtainable more or less anywhere in the world.

NiMH type batteries are rechargeable and work out very cheap to run. I bought 2 sets of 2200mAh ones in AA size so I've always got a spare set with me, and recharge them as soon as I get home. Bear in mind that NiMH batteries have to be discharged and then recharged several times before they reach their maximum life. You'll need a spare set as they give off full power for a long time and then suddenly stop rather than fading.

The batteries and chargers that did well in field tests are called Powerex and mine came from http://shop.mahaenergy.com/store/store.asp

As for the camera I bought a 4 megapixel Canon A80, especially for fishing. Unlike most digitals, Canon ones focus in the dark, as do most from Sony plus odd models from other makers. Bear in mind that many fishing photos will be taken in poor light or even darkness. Unless way out, you can manipulate images that are wrongly exposed, but there's not a lot you can do to an out of focus shot.

The A80 also has an LCD screen that you can flip round that makes self-portraits a doddle - you can actually see yourself on the screen as you hold a fish! I use this in conjunction with a Kaiser air release and adaptor, which I find miles better than an infra-red remote. The adaptor clips on using Velcro as, like almost all compact cameras, the shutter button on the A80 isn't threaded.

With the A80 you can even add an audio note to each picture - something I find useful to record the details of the catch. You can also make movies with sound.

Uploading is quick and easy via the standard USB cable provided.

Whilst it can be used as a point and shoot camera, the A80 can also be used in semi-auto and full manual mode, including manual focussing. It's got a 3X optical zoom which focusses to 2ins, as well as a digital zoom, and also takes accessory wide-angle, telephoto and extreme close-up lenses plus filters. There's even an underwater case available for divers!

Most of all it takes great pictures. As has already been pointed out megapixels aren't everything. The electronics, lens and software are just as important, and all are first rate. Amongst the big bundle of software included is PhotoImpression for editing photos, and you can also print direct to many printers without going via a computer.

I paid just £277 for mine online which included a 32mb card. At the same time I bought an extra 128mb card for an additional £28.

If this is too much the A60 & A70 are almost identical except that the LCD screen can't be flipped round, and offer 2 & 3 megapixels respectively. Guide prices online are £130 & £219 respectively. The former price is a steal for a camera with both point and shoot plus full manual control.

I'll be doing a full review for Angler's Net when I've finished field-testing these products. However my first impression are that they're the perfect items for fishing photos.

[ 13. December 2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Alan, goto Jessops or another photographic store and ask for some batteries for your Digital Camera that are at least 1800mAh NimH rechargable.

AA batteries can now be bought upto 2200mAh and i think maybe a little more now.

But remember they need to be rechargable and you need a recharger that will charge them upto there full capacity.

Exspensive layout but hey its Christmas!!! :) and you need them anyways as it will save a FORTUNE in disposable aswell as the enviroment

Lee Wood

My anglersnet gold award winning website:www.fishyworld.co.uk

Steve - thank you. My olympus 1.3 is about to die on me and I've been trying to figure what to replace it with. One of those sounds ideal.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

My pleasure, Newt. It's nice to be able to repay the help you've given us. I just wish digital cameras were the same price over here as in the States! :mad:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Continuing on with the batter discussion - and especially with the power numbers, a great review of the author's favorites (Maha Powerex 2200 mAh cells won) is Here. I've never heard of these but I certainly intend to.

And by the same author, his review/recommendation for chargers is Here.

Both reviews are from 2001 so there may be newer versions of both batteries and charger available but this is still by far the best info I've run across for powering digital cameras.

Excellent list of prices on all the Canon Powershot cameras Here. If the A80 isn't in your budget, the A40 certainly should be and it sounds like it has the features most of us need.

[ 13. December 2003, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

$1.74759 to a £ as of this morning.