strange drive error (hard to explain)

chesters1

my hard drive is partitioned into 3 drives C D E .in XP i had two "contents" (my computer) of drive D open (i was veiwing drive D in 2 windows and was copying files from one folder to another) ,i had to move one pane under another so i could see the folders i was interested in ,in moving it i accidentally "dropped" the pane i was veiwing into somewhere on the other one and both panes disapeared.

now if i open my computer and double click on drive D the pane opens up for a second (all folders apear) then closes, the desktop and startbar disapear then reasemble. In my computer i can double click C & E without problem both open normally ,i can search for folders on D with no problem i just cannot "see" the whole drive without it disapearing, any ideas to rectify my stupid mistake i have found a clue if i search for anything i know is on there its found ,if i search for "D" on drive D it throws a wobbly ,lets delete "D" and see what happens (if its possible to )

HMMM there is no "D" :confused: i can browse the drive but not open it :confused:

[ 13. December 2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

hmmm having copied the contents (as one file) to E trying to open the new folder it behaves (even on E) as it did as a partition ,methinks the partition is ok and the answer lies within its contents ,tommorrow i will copy folder by folder to another one testing each one as i do so ,i shall get the culprit or my name isnt lord browning

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi all

teehehe :D much prefer keeping my whole drive 20gig as one and using a slave drive(8gig) as backup files/drivers etc

plus having a cd writer i find no need to partition.

but sounds like an odd problem,hope you sort it.

billy

chesters1 - what did you use to partition the drive? If Partition Magic or similar, what version?

Try checking the health of the partition by going into Disk Management and having a look.

Also, try this:

start~run~cmd

chkdsk /r on all the partitions. Start with D & E since they will probably run when you execute the command. With C: (and any others that have system files running) you will be told it can't be done just now and do you want to do it at next reboot. Answer Y(es) and reboot.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

its not the partition Newt as i mentioned in my second post having dragged the complete drives contents to E trying to open the newly formed folder "D" the same thing happens so i have a problem with a folder rather than a drive. i shall move each folder to my desktop and see which is the naughty one (errr hopefully) i had already done a diskcheck on all drives with nothing showing up also a virus scan with nortons reaveled nothing and it didnt hiccup on anything it seems to be a "veiwing" thing rather than a system thing as i can browse or search freely :confused: :D

maybe i inadvertently dropped it onto a loop ? ,it opens, all folders appear, then it closes back to the desktop maybe i dropped it on the back arrow ?? :D

[ 14. December 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

On the chance you may have a damaged system file, try start~run~sfc /scannow to examine all system files and replace any that are found to be missing or damaged.

Also, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are tied together very closely in XP so a browser issue can cause some odd problems. You mentioned doing a virus scan but how about spyware scans? Ad-aware & Spybot are good for that and I like to use both since they tend to find things the other misses. If you don't have them, just download, update, scan.

To verify that it is simply a display issue with Windows Explorer, I'd also try start~run~cmd to open a DOS window then use some of the DOS commands to look around. If it's purely a display issue, you should see everything just fine from a command line. In case you aren't a DOS/command line person, as follows (and press ENTER after each line):

start~run~cmd

D:

Dir

cd somefolder to change your path to that folder then Dir again.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

hi Newt ,i have never been able to find system file checker on XP (home) it would have been my first port of call ,is it still in XP hidden away on the cd to be installed seperatly? ,its definatly not present as windows cannot find the file from the run position

Should be sfc.exe located in c:windowssystem32 with a backup copy in c:windowssystem32dllcache. Loaded as part of the standard OS load with both versions of XP.

If yours is missing, the file is only about 10Kb and the same for all XP versions so let me know and I can email you a copy. No install so just drop it into the system32 folder and you should be good to go.

If you have it already and your system can't find it with just start~run~sfc then your path line in the Environment settings may be messed up. You can still run it by pointing to the full path with start~run.

i sorted it by blundering :D i moved each folder from "D" to the desktop (using the browse function in search ) then double clicked it ,if it opened ok i then dragged another over etc ,when i got all the big folders over ,i double clicked "D" and it opened corectly :confused: i then dragged the folders back and double clicked again each "moved" folder they opened ok :confused: when everything was back drive "D" worked as it should and opened up to show the folders without complaint :confused:

maybe i upset the FAT and dragging everything back resorted it :)

even stranger is the full contents of "D" i dragged to "E" now even that opens up correctly :confused: where it didnt before ,ah well computers you love or hate em :)

there is a file called sfc in system/32 (version 5.1.2600.0)but double clicking it brings up a dosbox for an instant :)

[ 14. December 2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Try running sfc from a cmd prompt. It's probably working from where you run it but you can't see any signs.

From the cmd prompt it may not do anything except start, delay a bit, and finish but that is normal behavior if it doesn't find problems.

Not the most informative applet in the world.