Yaha.Q virus

Peter Sharpe

Beware of this wretched thing that arrives via email. A mate of mine has it and it infected 659 files. It disables all your anti-virus systems, prevents access to msconfig, regedit, system restore, and just about anything else that you can conceivably use to defeat it. I found a loophole in that I could run AVG by right clicking on the C: drive in My Computer. At least it told me what the virus was, even if I couldn't get rid of it.

Typical messages include

"Windows cannot find C:Program FilesInternet ExplorerExplorer.exe You may have typed the name incorrectly in the Run dialog, or another open program cannot find a sysytem file. To search for a file click the Start button and then click Search"

You will find this message referring to many different exe files, all of which you will be able to find by searching - you just won't be able to start them.

I have found a fix on http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection...yaharemove.html

I have downloaded it onto a floppy disk, so I will let you know how I get on.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Good luck. That is a particularly nasty bug.

If you have similar problems in the future and still have a working browser, google for housecall RAV online and you'll get links to a number of good, free, online AV scanners. RAV will fix most problems. I think some of the others just ID them for you.

The online scanners are nice because they are always current and cannot be disabled by an infection on the PC.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Amazing, it worked. All he has to do now is catch up on about 20mb of Microsoft updates - and that's without all the Media Player nonsense.

One more problem now: when AVG is carrying out its checks, it runs through massive amounts of temporary internet files in the directory of IE5 (he's very out of date). The only problem is that I have already carried out a sytem cleanup, and when I look in this directory I can only see a few kilobytes of cookies. Any idea how to find them?

[ 15. December 2003, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

The browser under tools~internet options and then dump temp internet files & dump cookies should get rid of them for you.

If it somehow doesn't, you'll probably have to take another route to do the deed but specifics vary by operating system so - what is he running?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President