ad aware

butiaboy

thanks for the advice on installing this programme it found 800 :mad: items are there any other programmes i should be using i currently use

avg 6 & ad aware .

[ 20. December 2003, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: butiaboy ]

my favourite fishing spot

2008_0801craig0051.jpg

chesterfield canal chesterfield

Another good idea is to click on Start | Run and then type in msconfig and click on OK.

Check the Startup tab for all the registry entries that cause a program to run automatically on startup. There will be about six or seven essential ones and a few that are perfectly ok but not really needed. Others may have been caused maliciously.

Check each entry against this list:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages...full.php#Search

It will tell you which ones have been inserted by viruses or spyware.

I think this has been on here before, but it's worth repeating.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

butiaboy:

thanks for the advice on installing this programme it found 800 :mad: items are there any other programmes i should be using i currently use

avg 6 & ad aware .

If your are not currently using a firewall, Zone Alarm is free.

Download it from http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/comp...lid=zadb_zadown

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I have just run in an update to Spybot S&D, and it now contains a series of user-friendly system tools that perform much of the same functions as msconfig - only easier to understand.

At least I could see all these tools immediately after the update. Now I've closed it and opened it back up they have all disappeared. Does anyone else have this problem?

...just answered my own question. I was opening it from my desktop icon. If you go into Start | Programs, you will see that Spybot has now acquired an advanced mode. Open it in this and you will see all the new features. It says on their site that the next update will allow you to switch modes from within the program.

[ 20. December 2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Re: Spybbot - the "easy" mode that is in the shortcut by default is simply a switch at the end of the command line with the shortcut. Edit and remove that and you should start up in 'normal' mode. Mine is

"C:Program FilesSpybot - Search & DestroySpybotSD.exe"

I think the other one is something like

"C:Program FilesSpybot - Search & DestroySpybotSD.exe" /dummy-mode

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President