What is this ?

Cranfield

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rightio Chaps, :)

I am awaiting the next pearl of wisdom from Uncle Newt.

In the meantime the file sits there.

If I ignore it, my system works perfectly.

But, if I try to delete it, or just click on it, my system slows down, pages freeze, programmes won,t respond and its reboot time.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Update.

So far we've found that his PC needs an odd F key to get into safe mode and uses F5 rather than the more usual F8.

We've also found that safe mode still won't allow deletion.

I've just sent detailed directions for getting the PC into Recovery Console (where basically nothing is running) and how to try a deletion from there.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Update.

So far we've found that his PC needs an odd F key to get into safe mode and uses F5 rather than the more usual F8.

We've also found that safe mode still won't allow deletion.

I've just sent detailed directions for getting the PC into Recovery Console (where basically nothing is running) and how to try a deletion from there.

How about booting the PC up from a DOS boot disk, running a DOS NTFS driver program and then deleting the offending file with native DOS commands?

That's tricker than using the recovery console (and a nice DEL command from there).

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The rogue file has gone !!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

I spent most of yesterday, trying different things and trawling the Net for ideas.

On MrWigglys, "Evidence Eliminator" theme, I downloaded a copy of "ilSystem Wiper", which I read had a "secure delete file" facility. Techies said this got rid of the most stubborn file, but the downside was, it could never be recovered again (sounded good to me).

I ran "secure delete file" and it took some time, but the file was deleted.

I think there are a few "issues" left on my computer.

Which I will raise as seperate questions.

Thanks Newt and everyone else for the help and support.

I agree with Steve Randles, this Tech Forum does allow us all to build an information base.

I hope noone else gets one of these files, but if you do........

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Hmmmmmmmmm ... Very Interesting !!! :)

I've never heard of this prog before, but will remember it for the future.

All's well that ends well, and we are all a bit wiser .... :D

The Older I get .. The better I was.